Author Topic: Seeking Henderson Family  (Read 2248 times)

Offline Southvancouver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seeking Henderson Family
« on: Friday 02 August 19 06:06 BST (UK) »
I have been given a number of documents and photographs relating to a Henderson couple who immigrated to Canada in 1922, leaving behind a number of relatives in Scotland.  There are no living descendants of the 1922 immigrants.  I would like to find cousins who would be interested in having the materials which I am holding.  The immigrant couple were William J. Henderson born 8 December 1889, died 8 February 1974 and his wife born Agnes Winning Ross on 5 August 1896, died 31 August 1982.  The both died in Vancouver, British Columbia.  I have the names of both their parents and 1944 & 1945 letters from a Dick Henderson, apparently a nephew, mentioning a number of family members.  I have no experience doing Scottish family history research and am at a loss as to how to proceed.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Henderson Family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 August 19 07:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Scotlands People is the only website which holds the original Scottish records you would need to register it is free to search but pay to view the records
I did a quick search and found Agnes birth in Hutchesontown and a William Jack born in Elgin They married in 1920 in Blythswood and William is William John

Offline higgsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 August 19 07:42 BST (UK) »
Just for information a Tree on Ancestry has William Jack Henderson born Elgin  1899 dying in Elgin in 1974 so William Jack may  not be the correct William J Henderson. ......of course that tree may be incorrect ....just a word of caution

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 August 19 07:58 BST (UK) »
Yes looks like that's the wrong William there is a William John born 1889 in Anderston which is more likely didn't come up in the earlier search strange

Offline Southvancouver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 August 19 09:44 BST (UK) »
Yes looks like that's the wrong William there is a William John born 1889 in Anderston which is more likely didn't come up in the earlier search strange

Yes.  Thank you for the help.  I am pretty sure about the birth date for William, 8 December 1889,  and yes, his second given name was John. I would have guessed that he and Agnes married in about 1921 but any time after his discharge from the Army on 31 March 1920 and before they went to Canada in June 1922 would be reasonable.   Anderston would be a very likely birthplace.  All the items I have with place names are for places in the Glasgow area such as Bridgeton. Their wedding photos were by a photographer one or two streets away from the Glasgow Central railway station!   Even when temporarily displaced by bombing during WWII no one seems to have moved further away than Rutherglen or Cambuslang!  At least two who died are in the Sandymount Cemetery -- probably as far as they ever went from home in life.  With the exception, of course, of the nephew who was in the Navy.  Now, if only I could find family members interested in family history.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 August 19 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

Marriage William John Henderson / Agnes Winning Ross , 1920 , Blythswood Lanark.

ev

Added -
I see that Wendy2305 had already noted that information.
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Southvancouver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 August 19 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

Marriage William John Henderson / Agnes Winning Ross , 1920 , Blythswood Lanark.

ev

Excellent.  I will enter that information in the little family tree I have built for them. 

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 August 19 13:22 BST (UK) »
Just for additional reference historical material, further details on Agnes here https://vad.redcross.org.uk/en/Card?fname=&sname=Ross&id=179692

Note: Re image, click on 'Next' at the bottom as there is a further index card image on Agnes.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 August 19 13:32 BST (UK) »
You mention you have William and Agnes' parents' names. Might be good to add them here so that others who may be connected might recognise them as family.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk