Author Topic: Grouping shared matches on 23&me  (Read 2042 times)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Grouping shared matches on 23&me
« on: Friday 02 August 19 10:38 BST (UK) »
Apologies if this question has been asked before - I did do a search and couldn't see it.

You know how you can group Ancestry shared matches using a coloured blob by each name, to sort your matches into the bits of your tree they must belong to?

Is there a similar method of doing this on 23&me?

I am exploring my mysterious 100cM+ match (should be obvious where it is, oops no it isn't), and I have just noticed that he and a confirmed 2nd cousin match are 'distant cousins'.

This has potentially put him on a different bit of the tree than I'd originally speculated.

It would help if I could group all the shared matches in the same way as I can on Ancestry.

Any way of doing this, am I missing something blindingly obvious?

Thank you!

And best wishes to all here who are sorting through their DNA matches.  Keeps us out of mischief.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Grouping shared matches on 23&me
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 August 19 11:12 BST (UK) »
I'm not answering your specific question but I think you will find this helpful. There is a company called Genetic Affairs, and they let you have half a dozen free free reports after they autocluster your DNA results according to your specifications. I tried it earlier in the week, and I'm currently trying to make sense of a spreadsheet, 1000 rows deep and 1000 rows wide. It has produced some fascinating statistics. I have about 70 different clusters, about 15 to 20 of them are are quite large, over 30 members, and one is over 100 and there is one that is is over 200. After your free reports you are invited to to pay for future ones. The one that I have run so far is going to keep me busy for weeks.

Martin

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 August 19 11:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you Martin.

I've just been thinking over how to do the thing on a spreadsheet myself, and the time entering in all the information is mind-boggling.

Will investigate. :)
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 August 19 11:34 BST (UK) »
 I am very competent with spreadsheets and and I had a go at doing it myself and the magnitude of the project is beyond belief. I'm working on a limited budget, which is why I haven't subscribed to one of the paying auto clustering services but this is not a job to try yourself. I looked at at gedmatch, using a very close relative's match and 10 other people who matched us both, and it was just too big a job.

One fascinating thing I noticed is one particular cluster has a much greater number of of names of Irish origin than you would expect, so I assume that indicates Irish origins somewhere. The report is truly fascinating, and will keep you busy for weeks.

Martin

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 August 19 11:49 BST (UK) »
I am very competent with spreadsheets and and I had a go at doing it myself and the magnitude of the project is beyond belief. I'm working on a limited budget, which is why I haven't subscribed to one of the paying auto clustering services but this is not a job to try yourself. I looked at at gedmatch, using a very close relative's match and 10 other people who matched us both, and it was just too big a job.

One fascinating thing I noticed is one particular cluster has a much greater number of of names of Irish origin than you would expect, so I assume that indicates Irish origins somewhere. The report is truly fascinating, and will keep you busy for weeks.

Martin

Yes, I'd like to think I'm competent with spreadsheets, pivot tables etc (it IS part of my work, so I'd hope I am  ;)) but the scale of it all was daunting.

I've just organised some analysis as you suggested and will see if I can make head or tail of it.

Thanks again!   ;D
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 August 19 14:30 BST (UK) »
This is a question for you Martin re the Gentic Affairs autoclustering.

I have used the at the time free Auto-Clustering tool on My Heritage.  My original test was with Ancestry, but I up loaded to My heritage, and have autoclustered on there a couple of occasions.  The results show autoclustering with your matches on My heritage.

Obviously I have many more matches on Ancestry, it would be great to get these autoclustered.  But how or what do they autocluster, is it your raw DNA analysis, that which I downloaded from Ancestry, then uploaded to Gedmatch/My Heritage/Familytreedna,  or is it the matchlist of results, which is itself  a result of a secondary process, where your dna results are compared to their  enormous data base of results ( as for Ancestry), and spits out your matchlist of possible cousins.  Or is it some combination of the two?

Like many others I would love to autocluster my Ancestry matches, but just dont see how this independent company could do this??

Sorry if I have made the above to complicated - but I dont know how to explain my question any other way!

With a few seconds thought, I realise that this 3rd party company could not have access to your match list, for all the obvious confidentiality and GDPR reasons
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 August 19 14:38 BST (UK) »
There is a truly excellent 20 minute video telling you everything you could possibly need to know at the bottom of this page.

https://geneticaffairs.com/faq.html

MARTIN

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 August 19 14:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Martin!
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 August 19 19:36 BST (UK) »
just a very small rant, if you will bear with me...... :o :o :o :o :o

I have spent the afternoon looking at some Ancestry Trees of one of my clusters as demonstrated by Genetic Affairs.

There are 4 people in the cluster, all of whom are about 4th cousins

Me
Person B: who I've already previously done a whole tree for without being able to see the link
And two more, persons C and D who are evidently connected, as they share the same surname

After an afternoon, I have

corrected Person B's own tree as he has it on Ancestry and re-invited him to see the one I'd done which HAS
sources which his doesn't, and also added quite a few more details in for him.

and

demonstrated to him exactly where the link is between him and persons C and D

However, what I've not done is demonstrate how I am connected to B, C or D.

And then looking further I notice in my overall Ancestry shared matches that C and D are connected to person E, another potential 4th cousin, who is NOT connected to person B

I said some time ago that I was going to make myself a cup of tea, but on second thoughts what about a glass of wine?

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London