Author Topic: Washington Irving immigrant ship 1857  (Read 1686 times)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Washington Irving immigrant ship 1857
« on: Saturday 03 August 19 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
The Washington Irving arrived in Sydney September 1857 with my "Charles Starr" on board from Cambridgeshire England as an assisted immigrant.  I just wanted to ask others with migrant ancestors how they tracked their movements from Sydney to their family OR employers. 

I have been looking at the various newspaper publications for September/October (Trove)  and there was one with a list of the peoples (names) from the "Washington Irving" and who they left with!  Not sure if anyone else has had luck with these "lists" in the newspaper when tracing ancestors footsteps.

So was CHARLES employed directly from the ship by Mr. James Sloan OR did someone else meet or employ him.  Other brothers were in NSW before Charles.  Will need to trace their steps too.

My CHARLES STARR next turns up on "North Logan" which is a large homestead in/near COWRA NSW owned by the "Sloan" family.  This is in 1861.  Any help or advice is very much appreciated.  Regards Dianna

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Washington Irving immigrant ship 1857
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 August 19 01:38 BST (UK) »
 :) Here is live link to the passenger list for that voyage of the Washington Irving.  Your Charles STARR is on page 9

ADD

This link should work :
http://indexes.records.nsw.gov.au/ebook/list.aspx?series=NRS5316&item=4_4794&ship=Washington%20Irving

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 August 19 01:41 BST (UK) »
North Logan

NSW 1870 Electoral Roll for CARCOAR (covers police districts including Cowra PD)

James Ivey SLOAN, Freehold, North Logan, Cowra PD

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 August 19 01:57 BST (UK) »
https://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/2071962

The Story of North Logan,  1841-1941 is available in book form from National Library of Australia.

Author :  Marion Elsie Busby  1886 -

JM

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 August 19 02:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Thanks very much for the information but I don't see a link for the passengers arriving.  Not to worry I think I have all of that information just need to find out where he went after he arrived.  Thanks for the 1870 Electoral roll information, I've never seen that.  I will contact the library re the Sloan family information, there maybe a mention of my Charles and Maria being employed there.  Thanks for your time.  Kind regards Dianna

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 August 19 02:14 BST (UK) »
:) Here is live link to the passenger list for that voyage of the Washington Irving.  Your Charles STARR is on page 9

ADD

This link should work :
http://indexes.records.nsw.gov.au/ebook/list.aspx?series=NRS5316&item=4_4794&ship=Washington%20Irving

JM

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 August 19 03:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you that link worked perfectly.  Much appreciated.  Just wanted to ask where you found that 1870 Electoral Roll for Sloan.  Kind regards Dianna

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 August 19 03:32 BST (UK) »
 :)

The NSW State Library has 'all' the historic electoral rolls  :D

I have my father's paper copies from his research from pre WWII,  I will send you a PM  :)

JM

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 August 19 03:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Thanks very much for you message, most appreciated.  Hope my PM got to you okay.  Great to have this information and links.  Kind regards Dianna