Author Topic: Mill Road Hospital 1938?  (Read 2880 times)

Offline rubymelia

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mill Road Hospital 1938?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 13:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for correcting me , Stan.  :)
Gosh, I had no idea that it was still there in the 1980s. My mum was there in around 1929 / 1930 when she had Scarlet Fever. Anything that she took into the hospital would have to be left there, so her mum produced a new notebook for drawing and a pack of cards to take with her. She remembered at least one other child died and said one of the nurses got it, so ended up in the same ward. She said sulphur was blown down her throat, as powder collected on a piece of paper, folded so it all collected in the crease. It tickled and made her cough. She was in bed for weeks. There was no visiting because it was infectious, so her mother and aunt came and stood on the pavement outside, as she could see them and wave through the window. (She was in a ward right at the front of the hospital.)In the end, when she was discharged, her mother had to more or less carry her, because she was so weak that she couldn't walk.

Wow, stories and little anecdotes like these make all the research so real and important!

Offline Joney

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mill Road Hospital 1938?
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 15:07 BST (UK) »
I agree with you on that. My mum and grandmother never stopped repeating the family stories. I am lucky in that some of them must go back to the 1870s and 1880s. The reason I started tracing the family, back in the 1970s, was that, as I told my mother at the time, 'Either this is history or it's baloney and I think we ought to sort out which !'
In fact, more turned out to be true than I would ever believed at that point. Good luck with your ancestors too.   
Liverpool - Ireland 
 Skerries, County Dublin - Thorn(ton),  Wicklow -  Traynor
Baltray, Co. Louth, McGuirk and  Co. Mayo -  Phillips
Isle of Man - Harrison -  Andreas and Morrison - Maughold, 
Durham, Hetton and East Rainton area  - Brown and Kennedy
Northumberland - Clough, Longbenton