Author Topic: DNA match  (Read 1697 times)

Offline gela

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA match
« on: Tuesday 06 August 19 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am related to Rosetta smith and Francis Brown and their daughter Eliza Smith  and her partner Nathaniel Smith.

I have had the DNA test done with Ancestry and I am coming up with a match to someone from the Stanley family they are showing as a 4th-6th cousin.

Does anyone know of any connections these familes might have .I know nothing about the Stanley's only did some go to America.

Any help and info would be really appreciated
Many thanks

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DNA match
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 19:43 BST (UK) »
Those are fairly common names, so if you expect anyone to help you then you will probably have to provide more details about dates and locations.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline gela

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 19:18 BST (UK) »

Rosetta was born 1808 Wymondham Leicestershire her parents were William and Charlotte Smith
( could be grandaughter of Wisdom and Hannah Smith)

Francis Brown was born in 1805 Muston Leicestershire to a Thomas Brown and a Johanna Dalton
sometimes showing born 1804 Laxton Nots

The Stanley line i am looking at is

Benjamin Stanley born abt 1774  coupled with Joan Boswell who had

Owen Stanley born 1793 Reading coupled with Harriet Wharton

Just wondering if the connection is through Joan Boswell

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 23:58 BST (UK) »
Francis Brown was born in 1805 Muston Leicestershire to a Thomas Brown and a Johanna Dalton
sometimes showing born 1804 Laxton Nots

Are you saying you have 2 baptisms for the same person with same parents in 2 different locations?

I'm not understanding the 'sometimes' reference, he either was or he wasn't?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline gela

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 07:58 BST (UK) »

Francis Brown Baptism
2nd Jan 1806 Muston Leicestershire
francis son of thomas brown and his wife johanna was baptised on the 2nd jan 1806 under a hedge in the parish of sedegbrook, he was born in a flood, the father a chimney sweep belonging to market harborough.

In the 1861 census he has put he was born 1804 Laxton Nots

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 08:58 BST (UK) »
I am still not understanding what makes you think that your DNA match may be connected to you through these particular people. Have you been reviewing shared matches that narrow it down to a specific side of your tree. Does your match have your Smith ancestors in their tree? Is Ancestry suggesting a path to the common ancestors?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 09:03 BST (UK) »
I have had the DNA test done with Ancestry and I am coming up with a match to someone from the Stanley family they are showing as a 4th-6th cousin.

Like Craclyn, I'm not understanding why you're looking at all the names quoted if the match is with Stanley?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline gela

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 20:36 BST (UK) »
No i have no Stanley's  in my tree ,so someone from my family line must have got together with someone from the Stanley family.

Some of my family married into the Boswell family and Joan Boswell is in the Stanley tree so i might just look at her.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 21:17 BST (UK) »
But what makes you think that your connection to this person is through that line rather than another line? I am still missing something in my understanding of how you arrived at your hypothesis.