Author Topic: Searching for my Great-Grandmother's Birth...  (Read 1621 times)

Offline tinkerbell5

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for my Great-Grandmother's Birth...
« on: Friday 09 August 19 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone can help or offer me any advice in looking for my Great-Grandmother's birth record.

My Great-Grandmother was called Margaret. She was illegitimate and was born on 29 January 1930, presumably in Derbyshire. The available records and family stories suggest Margaret and her mother had always lived in the county.

Her mother was Gladys Gertrude Swainson (1893-1943). Gladys married a Thomas Roberts in 1934, and thereafter, Margaret was known as Margaret Roberts. This is the name she gave when she married my Great-Grandfather, Arthur Spurr in 1948 in Nottingham. The marriage certificate gives Thomas as being her father.

According to my Grandmother, Thomas was not the father of Margaret, and she was always treated badly for "being born out of wedlock".

After researching the Swainson line, we are now hoping that Margaret's birth certificate may give the name of Margaret's father, although I know it's likely it may not.

If anyone can offer any help or advice on locating a birth record, I'd be really grateful!

Thanks in advance. :)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for my Great-Grandmother's Birth...
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 August 19 11:50 BST (UK) »
From freebmd

Births Mar 1930   (>99%)
SWAINSON    Margaret    MMN. Swainson    Manchester S.    8d   90

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 August 19 14:39 BST (UK) »
From freebmd

Births Mar 1930   (>99%)
SWAINSON    Margaret    MMN. Swainson    Manchester S.    8d   90

Nice find!

The birth certificate will almost certainly not name a father.  There is a remote possibility that a baptism record or a claim for maintenance might name a father - but it's a long shot!

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tinkerbell5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi both,

Thank you, I've ordered the birth certificate from the info that Mckha489 gave. I hope it is my Great-Grandmother, but with it being registered in Manchester I'm unsure. Have to wait and see!

I know that it's unlikely to give a father's name, but it'll be nice to have some more information about Margaret and her mother.  :D

Sadly, I haven't been able to find a baptism record. How would I go about finding a claim for maintenance? A search of newspaper articles has produced nothing either  :(

Thank you again.  :)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Tinkerbell -- they used to be called Affiliation Orders or Bastardy Bonds (they may still be called Affiliation Orders) -- but I suspect that your query relates to a case too recent for records to be accessed if there were any.

Often you can find details at the local archives by searching on the name of the mother -- but with this case only being in 1930 - I doubt you will find anything - usually a 100 year closure applies.

If it was brought to court - then maybe it will be in a newspaper, but you have tried that already. Sorry this is such a negative reply - maybe someone else can come up with something more positive for you.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline tinkerbell5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 August 19 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Pennines. That's a shame but thank you for your info. I'm sure it will come in handy with other research!

So the birth certificate arrived today and it is my Great-Grandmother Margaret! As expected, it doesn't list a father.

It states she was born at 2 Willow Bank in Rucholme, Manchester. Gladys, her mother, was a Confectioners Shop Assistant. She is written as being "of 82 Cedar Street, Derby". Now I'm wondering why Margaret was born in Manchester!

Next to the entry "Adopted" is written. I'm assuming this may be in reference to her being adopted by Thomas Roberts, Gladys' husband whom she married in 1934? Does anyone know if this would have been added at a later date?

A little disappointed that there is no father, but it's opened up more questions!  :)

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 August 19 18:29 BST (UK) »
The Macalpine Maternity Home, Belfield Lodge, 2 Willow Bank, Fallowfield, Manchester

See more info here: http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/list/MH4.shtml

Fallowfield and Rusholme are neighbouring areas.
BARTRAM - Nottingham, Derby, originally Beds (Stagsden)
PERFETT - St Pancras & Marylebone, Rugby, Nottingham
RADFORD - Nottinghamshire, also back & forth to Bury
RUDD - Durham, Margate, Bermondsey, Newcastle, Nottingham

Offline tinkerbell5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 August 19 19:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you Rattus! :)

I'd love to look at the records for the home but I'm thinking that the 100 year closure will apply. However, it's great that we know more about her birth now!

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 August 19 19:40 BST (UK) »
Often unmarried pregnant girls were sent elsewhere to have their baby. This was to save face for the parents of the unmarried girl -- sometimes they were sent to relatives for a while when it became obvious they were pregnant.

That may be why Gladys was in Manchester.

I don't know if the 'Adopted' bit was written at the time or later -- but official adoption WAS in place by then, so it maybe was written later. Alternatively the arrangements could have been made and agreed before the baby was born I suppose. In all honesty I know very little about adoption (except that it formally came into place in 1926). Before that, it was informal arrangements and sometimes made through Doctors.

At least you can research Gladys's line backwards -- and you have an address for her at the time of Margaret's birth.

As regards obtaining records of the home -- they may be at Manchester Archives. If you can prove that both Margaret and Gladys have died -- you never know -- you may be allowed access to the records.

It would be worth a search to see where they are.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.