Author Topic: Seeking Paternal 'birth grandparents' - Evelyn Roberts  (Read 3317 times)

Offline Delius

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seeking Paternal 'birth grandparents' - Evelyn Roberts
« on: Friday 09 August 19 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, first post so apologies if this is more long-winded than it should be.
My late father was adopted in 1947 at the age of 2. Knowing that his Christian names were not changed upon adoption (thanks to a court document from the adoption hearing) and his district of birth, I have been able to locate his birth certificate:

DoB : 13th June 1945
Name : Terence James Poole
Mother : Evelyn May Poole, née Roberts
Father : Not named
Address : Bell Street, Whitchurch, Hants.

The only wedding I could find (FreeBMD) within a sensible timeframe, between an Evelyn Roberts and a Poole was 21st July 1938 in Newbury (hence posting in Berkshire) which is not far from Whitchurch. I ordered the marriage certificate, and it turns out the name on there is Evelyn MARY Roberts, rather than May.

So first question is whether 'May' on the Birth record could be a transcription error (since it is typed and was presumably handwritten originally). If it is I have a further piece of information on this Evelyn, from the 1939 survey, namely a birth date in 1918.

Second question is how I go about finding any history for Evelyn; I've found a birth in Ashby (de la Z) and a death up in the Black Country that match ages roughly. The latter could perhaps make sense as my father, despite being born in Whitchurch, was adopted in Walsall.

Lots more questions of course but any advice welcome at this stage; have I hit a dead-end?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Paternal 'birth grandparents' - Evelyn Roberts
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 August 19 13:14 BST (UK) »
Sounds feasible. Mary and May can be interchangeable and easily mistranscribed. Presumably Mr. Poole was out of the picture at the time the baby was conceived. Perhaps away fighting. Also worth considering whether your biological grandfather may have been in the services, perhaps not English.

Have you considered taking a DNA test to try to identify your biological grandparents?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Delius

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 August 19 13:22 BST (UK) »
Sounds feasible. Mary and May can be interchangeable and easily mistranscribed. Presumably Mr. Poole was out of the picture at the time the baby was conceived. Perhaps away fighting. Also worth considering whether your biological grandfather may have been in the services, perhaps not English.
Have you considered taking a DNA test to try to identify your biological grandparents?
Another point is that I haven't located a death record for William Henry Poole (born circa 1912), so don't know if she might have been already widowed.
But either way, yes I did a DNA test six months ago. The summary came back as 26% Iberian, or thereabouts. I know these tests don't work in such a way that it actually means the father was Spanish/Portuguese, but it was certainly an interesting result!

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 August 19 13:27 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Have you looked for Evelyn May Poole on the 1939 Register to see if she's with Mr Poole?

JJ

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 August 19 13:28 BST (UK) »
Check the CWGC website to see if William Henry Poole was killed in the war.

Don't spend too much time wondering about the ethnicity side of DNA. The useful information is in the matches. Who did you test with?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 August 19 13:32 BST (UK) »
What details were recorded for Evelyn's dad on the marriage certificate?

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 August 19 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi
I agree with Cracyln a DNA test is the way to go.
The death in Walsall may well be Evelyn M Willey born 1916 in Walsall 1939 who went on to marry a Mr Poole.
There is also a family tree for the birth in A de la Z complete with photos but with a different husband.
There is another possible son of that Roberts Poole marriage in the area born 1939 ,I'd take a look at him and where he ended up.
It looks like he died Brian William Poole 3 10 1939  in Milton Keynes Mar 2000

As for William H Poole ,it looks like he remarries at Newbury Sep 1947 to Violet V Webb
She died in North East Hampshire in 1999.

So it looks like the couple were divorced.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Delius

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 August 19 13:40 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)
Have you looked for Evelyn May Poole on the 1939 Register to see if she's with Mr Poole?
Yes I found her on the 1939 register. It had her living with her widowed mother-in-law, an Arthur Poole and [censored]. She's shown as married at this time so I presume her husband is among the censored records.

Offline Delius

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 August 19 13:42 BST (UK) »
Check the CWGC website to see if William Henry Poole was killed in the war.

Don't spend too much time wondering about the ethnicity side of DNA. The useful information is in the matches. Who did you test with?
Test was with MyHeritage.
I've seen a "Paternal DNA ancestry test" available, I'm not sure if that's a better way to go on this one or if that's basically just going to come back telling me about ancestors 10k years ago  :D