Author Topic: Mystery of child of Jane Howatson  (Read 2230 times)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery of child of Jane Howatson
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 October 19 13:17 BST (UK) »
Looking at the Census returns I think Robert Kennedy went on to marry Jessie Ann McKay in 1866 Straiton Ayr.

1881 Census(LDS Scotlandspeople)
Fore Starr , Straiton , Ayr
Robert Kennedy 40 shepherd born Glencairn Dumfries
Jessie A Kennedy 35 wife born Carsphairn Kirkcudbright

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline suecolville

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Hewitson/Howatson/Muirhead and Robert Kennedy
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 December 19 03:39 GMT (UK) »
My gt gt gt grandmother was  Jane Hewitson 1812-1849).  Her parents were James Hewitson and Mary Kerr of Penpont.I have recently found out that she had been "taken advantage of" by a wealthy farmer's son (she was a servant) and had a baby before she married James Muirhead. The baby was named Robert Kennedy, and the birth father was Robert Kennedy. The baby was born in 1840 and I have court records from 1844 in which ongoing child support was contested. Robert Kennedy's family was from Dalwhat and were wealthy land owners.
I have no idea what happened to the baby Robert Kennedy and would appreciate any help.

I found her and baby Robert in the 1841 census but she died before the 1851 census. The surname Hewitson also has a number of different spellings
thank you for your help

Threads merged.

Colville, Adie, Dick, Jamieson, Ponton and Turnbull-Dunfermline and Borders
Burns, Philp,Hocking, Pennaligon, Ley, Lelean, Webb, Fitzgerald,Kitto, Langdon, Yelland, (Mevagissey, Cornwall),
Muirhead,Cameron, Hewitson, Crosbie, Hume, Hewitson,Sloan, Neilson,Kerr, Cowan, Scott,Haining (SW Scotland)
Findlay,Gray,Allan, Houston,Wickham,Jamieson,Burrell, Richards,(Edinburgh, Lothians and Stonehaven)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Hewitson/Howatson/Muirhead and Robert Kennedy
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 December 19 11:47 GMT (UK) »
I note Robert and his mother Janet Howtson as noted on the 1841 at Blaroch, Glencairn but I couldn’t find a baptism record for Robert.

I did see Robert Kennedy senior age 25 in 1841 with his family at Dalwhat.

The only Robert Kennedy age about 9 - 13 I can find in the County in 1851 is with a Kennedy family in the town of Dumfries and would not appear to be him (Scotland’s People census). It is possible that Robert died in 1872 age 33.

I cannot see a likely marriage for Robert or a death before 1855 or after, did you find a burial record for his mother?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 December 19 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked for Robert as either Robert H*tson or Robert Muirhead in the 1851 census?

EDIT: this question was posted before the two duplicate threads were merged. In the light of the combined thread my question plainly makes no sense, because the child had already been found in the 1851 census as Robert Kennedy, but the OP did not include a link to the earlier thread or include all the information that had already been posted there, which makes both my question and ColC's post look silly.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 December 19 12:08 GMT (UK) »
From the earlier thread-
Looking at the Census returns I think Robert Kennedy went on to marry Jessie Ann McKay in 1866 Straiton Ayr.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 December 19 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Who was named father on his marriage ? And death
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 December 19 14:39 GMT (UK) »
although the judgement says it was a son, the OPR said it was a daughter called Mary. I can't find this child anywhere.
This appears to be self-contradictory. If you know what the OPR says, then you have, by definition, found the child.

I wonder whether you are confusing Mary, baptised in Dalry, Ayrshire, on 9 March 1841 to Robert Kennedy and Janet Hewitson, with the older child Robert Kennedy, who appears in the 1841 census aged 1, suggesting a birth in 1839 or 1840, and in the 1851 census aged 10, implying a birth in 1840 or 1841.

What exactly does Mary Kennedy's baptism record say?
I see from ev's reply #6 above that Robert was born on 16 April 1840.
Mary was baptised 11 months later so there should be no confusion.

I speculate that the timeline goes something like this
1840 Birth of Robert Kennedy Jr
1841 Birth of Mary Kennedy
1841 or 1842 Death of Mary Kennedy. The absence of a record of the death is immaterial; most deaths before 1855 went unrecorded.
1843 Marriage of James Muirhead and Janet H*w*tson
1843 James Muirhead and Jane(t) H*w*tson pursue Robert Kennedy Sr for the upkeep of his child Robert Kennedy Jr.

Obviously, if the child Mary was a sibling of Robert Jr, they would have pursued him for upkeep of both children, but if Mary had died in infancy it would explain (a) your confusion (b) why her stepfather and mother did not pursue her father for upkeep and (c) why Jane(t) named her daughter by James Muirhead Mary; she had no living older child of the same name and wished to name her eldest daughter after her own mother.

If, however, Mary was not a sibling, then she is irrelevant.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 08 December 19 15:30 GMT (UK) »
My gt gt gt grandmother was  Jane Hewitson 1812-1849). I have recently found out that she had been "taken advantage of" by a wealthy farmer's son (she was a servant) and had a baby before she married James Muirhead. The baby was named Robert Kennedy, and the birth father was Robert Kennedy. The baby was born in 1840

"taken advantage of" at almost 30 yrs of age for a 2nd time ??? if the info. posted by Forfarian is correct.

With wealth involved, have you considered this to be untrue?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 08 December 19 15:58 GMT (UK) »
On 8 December 2019 you posted the following
I have no idea what happened to the baby Robert Kennedy and would appreciate any help.
but two months before this, on 10 October 2019, ev had already posted a suggestion on your earlier thread
Have you looked at that marriage certificate? If not, you should do so now.