Author Topic: Demetrius Donnell (Peter the Greek)(Dominick Demetrius)  (Read 672 times)

Offline gmayr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Demetrius Donnell (Peter the Greek)(Dominick Demetrius)
« on: Monday 12 August 19 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for any info about my 4x great grandfather Demetrius Donnell. I believe Donnell is his anglicised name as I'm fairly certain he came from Greece to Australia, although I'm not sure what passage he took. I have no information about any family he may have left behind.

He was known as "Peter the Greek" on the South Coast of NSW. From information I have gathered from newspaper articles and NSW police gazettes, he was about 71 years old when he "died" in 1903 so his birth year would be about 1832. Demetrius and his son Peter Donnell were fisherman in Merimbula, NSW who went missing and were presumed drowned at sea. He doesn't have a death certificate but there is an intestate case file at the NSW State Archives that I haven't accessed yet.

I don't have any information about his life before he came to Australia. The earliest info I have found of him in Australia is in newspaper articles about the Admella shipwreck in South Australia in 1859 when he was awarded a medal for rescuing survivors.

By 1862 he was in Broulee, NSW and married Teresa Trainer. I have found 3 birth certificates of his children, all born in Broulee, NSW. Theresa Anastasia Aspricia Donnell, my 3x great grandmother (who I think is recorded as Female Donnell) b. 1863, Laurence b. 1864, Horatia b. 1866 (no future records). There is no birth record of his son Peter Donnell who was about 30 when he died along with his father in 1903.

His daughter Theresa's marriage to William Lewis is recorded in the Sydney Anglican Parish registers which state that her father's name is Peter Donnell, a fisherman and her mother's name is Mary Downer. He did go by the name "Peter the Greek," but I hadn't heard the name Mary Downer before.

I know Demetrius was an old, well known figure in communities up and down the South Coast. On January 9th 1903, Demetrius and Peter Donnell went out fishing off Pambula, New South Wales where they were presumed drowned.

Thanks,
Georgia

Offline stsearcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Always happy to help with research and photos.
    • View Profile
Re: Demetrius Donnell (Peter the Greek)(Dominick Demetrius)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 12:24 BST (UK) »
That was a wonderful amount of information you provided. I haven't been able to find anything new for you but have enjoyed reading about him, people had very kind things to say about his character and choice of lifestyle.
The only thing that I found in regards to his life in Greece came from a poem in the paper with the words "To all I could gather of Grecians and Greece, He'd tell me of Athens and Marathon's plain" http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article138860237

I am sure you have more information about his exact age but there were also reports that he could have been as old as 87. However, living on the water would probably make him look much older then he was.

The only other thing I note is how obscure the information on his name can be. The NSW police gazette refers to them as "Dominick Demetrius" and son "Peter Donnell".

Good luck and hopefully someone will be able to fill in more detail.
CORNWALL, ENION and lots more

Offline gmayr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 12:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your reply. Even if I don't find any more certified information I'm happy that I've got the articles that reflect his character. I have seen that poem before but it's very special so I love to reread it every so often. That was the article that did confirm my theories that he was actually born in Greece. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Offline stsearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 13:02 BST (UK) »
No problem at all. Hopefully someone will add something new. I did update the last post just to point out that the NSW police gazette calls him "Dominick Demetrius". Possibly a typo.

Good luck.

Offline stsearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 13:46 BST (UK) »
One last thing  :)
This may not be him but does fit the physical traits of your Peter. He is listed as "Peter Demetrius".
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article229956800
If it was him, he would then have needed to get from NSW and establish himself in SA within a year to fit your dates. Possible that it would explain a name change. Just guessing though.

Offline gmayr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 18:44 BST (UK) »
I hadn’t seen that information before. I’ll do some more searching based off that. Thank you so much!