Author Topic: Mr and Mrs Watson  (Read 1312 times)

Offline whifflet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mr and Mrs Watson
« on: Tuesday 13 August 19 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi. Would appreciate any help to find where my great great grandmother and Grandfather are buried  A Joseph Watson b. 1809 in Aberdeen and a Jane Dunstan Watson b. 1805 from Banffshire I believe. I found Joseph in the 1871 census in Motherwell with his Daughter Helen but not Jane his wife. Had she died? Their daughter Helen was born in Edinburgh 1844.  Can anyone throw light on this for me? Many thanks .

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Mr and Mrs Watson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 18:23 BST (UK) »
Is Joseph shown as a widower in 1871?  Was Helen still alive in 1861?

Have you looked on Scotlands People to establish when and where they both died?

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 18:31 BST (UK) »
The only match in 1861 is this one in Stranraer.  You would have to pay to view the image to see if Joseph was a widower but I think it's likely he was

Joseph Watson 53 painter b Aberdeenshire
Margaret 24 wife b Ireland (don't think she is Joseph's wife - possibly his daughter in law)
John 3 grandson b Stranraer
ED3 page 20 line 9

Jane was alive in 1851 but they were living in Glasgow so seems they moved around a bit

Looks like Jane may have died between 1851-1861
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hi. Would appreciate any help to find where my great great grandmother and Grandfather are buried  A Joseph Watson b. 1809 in Aberdeen and a Jane Dunstan Watson b. 1805 from Banffshire I believe.
Was Watson her maiden name?

I note that FindMyPast's transcription of the 1851 census says that Jane was born in 'Fochabers, Banffshire'. It so happens that Fochabers is not in Banffshire, but in Moray. However it is in the parish of Bellie, which is mainly in Moray but partly in Banffshire. The Banffshire part of the parish of Bellie is also part of the anomalous parish of Enzie (pronounced 'ING-ie') which remained fairly strongly Roman Catholic throughout the 17th and 18th centuries, in defiance of the prevailing Protestantism all round about. So I suspect that your Watsons may have been Roman Catholics.

FreeCEN's transcription has, in my view not very helpfully, amended the birthplace to read 'Morayshire, Fochabers' with a note that the original reads Banffshire.

But at least FreeCEN has managed to state that St Davids is in Glasgow; FindMyPast simply says, 'St David's, Lanarkshire'. And it adds supposed years of birth which do not feature in the original document.

In 1841 (FindMyPast) Joseph, Jane and John are in Church Street, Inverness.

Joseph Watson, journeyman house painter, aged 47, married Margaret Carruthers, aged 20, in Stranraer on 13 April 1857. His parents were William Watson, merchant, and Charlotte Watson maiden surname Shand. Hers were William Carruthers and Margaret ?Strain?.

So Jane must have died between 1851 and 1857. There is no likely-looking death in the SP index so it looks likely that she died before 1855.

Noting that Joseph and Margaret's son was named John, I wonder if Joseph's son John by his first wife had died young?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 18:52 BST (UK) »
Jane Dunstan Watson

How accurate is this name, and where is your source?

Malky

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 19:17 BST (UK) »
Just to add to Carole's posts.

JOSEPH WATSON/JANE DUSDAN
Son JOHN born 11/9/1836 baptised 18/10/1836 Inverness, St Mary's RC church

Whch might explain why I could not find the births or Marriage of Joseph & Jane

1841 WATSON = Church Street, Inverness

Joseph   M   30   Painter   OUC   
Jane   F   25      OUC   
John   M   4      INV   

1851 WATSON = Dempster Street, Glasgow

Jos   Head   42   House Painter (Journeyman)   ABD   Aberdeen
Jane   Wife   46      BAN   Fochabers
John   Son   13   Scholar   INV   Inverness
Helen   Dau   6   Scholar   MLN   Edinburgh

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline whifflet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 20:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your info.  I will try and find Jane's death from this.  Joseph definitely got around yes.  In the note I have Jane and Joseph's daughter Helen had a lot of children, one being Jane D. Cowan. I believe the name has been passed down through the family as Dunstan.  Thanks again all for your speedy replies

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 20:28 BST (UK) »
From Reply #3

"So Jane must have died between 1851 and 1857. There is no likely-looking death in the SP index so it looks likely that she died before 1855"

A MI would be a good find if it exists/is recorded?

Have you found a death for Joseph?

Are both parents deceased on the marriage of dau Helen, where/when did she marry?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline whifflet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosinish.  No I do not know when Joseph died. Helen his daughter married in Glasgow 1863 to a Robert Cowan . They moved to Motherwell where my family came from. Thankyou