Author Topic: Mr and Mrs Watson  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Mr and Mrs Watson
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 21:44 BST (UK) »
Helen his daughter married in Glasgow 1863 to a Robert Cowan

Can you please state exactly what's written in the parents column?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline whifflet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi   It's not too clear for her maiden name. But it could be Dutton. Her father is Joseph Watson  :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi   It's not too clear for her maiden name. But it could be Dutton. Her father is Joseph Watson  :)
But does it say (Deceased) after either or both names?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline whifflet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 00:08 BST (UK) »
Hi. Both father's alive. Mothers deceased

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 09:31 BST (UK) »
That confirms other information, i.e. that Jane had died and Joseph was still alive.

I see that Joseph is described in the 1871 census as a widower, aged 62, born Aberdeen Old Machar.

There is no death of a Margaret Watson, other surname Carruthers, in the deaths index at SP. So did Margaret leave Joseph and go back to Ireland with their son? Did she die in Ireland between 1861 and 1871?

There are six Joseph Watsons born 1808 plus or minus five years in the deaths index on SP:
Age 61, died 1873, Edinburgh Canongate (YoB 1811/1812)
Age 67, died 1876, Dumfries (DoB 1808/1809)
Age 77, died 1882, Paisley
Age 79, died 1882, Dunfermline
Age 78, died 1884, St Martins
Age 77, died 1888, Auchinleck

There are five Joseph Watsons born 1808 plus or minus five years in the 1881 census:
Age 78, Dunfermline, born Renfrewshire
Age 75, Paisley, born Campsie, Stirlingshire
Age 74, St Martins, born Perthshire
Age 71, Lochlee, born Errol
Age 69, Ayr, born Ayrshire

I've coloured the ones who match, leaving just two possibles for your Joseph. The one who died in Edinburgh is a few years too young. Have you looked at the death certificate of the one who died in Dumfries?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline whifflet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 10:53 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Forfarian. What a pal.  I will find him.  I will look at the Dumfries records.  So glad I came on to Rootschat again. Lots of dead ends everywhere else I looked. 🙋

Offline GDW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 December 19 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Joseph Watson died on 3 November 1880 at North British Buildings, Coatbridge (at home of his daughter Ellen and husband Robert Cowan who registered the death). I have been unable to find a death record for his first wife Jane Dustan who I pressure must have died between 1851 (living in Glasgow) and Joseph remarrying in Stranraer in 1857. There is a death recorded for a Jane Dustan in Old Machar, Aberdeen on 16/5/1854 which I've not been able to determine if related (Joseph was born in Old Machar).

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 31 December 19 05:47 GMT (UK) »
Is this the deaths...

WATSON JOSEPH - 63 - 1880 - 652/2 431 Old Monkland (Middle District)

DUSTAN JANE - 73 - 16/05/1854 - 168/B 210 584 Old Machar

Have you viewed the image for Jane, age seems out but?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline GDW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 31 December 19 09:07 GMT (UK) »
WATSON JOSEPH - 63 - 1880 - 652/2 431 Old Monkland (Middle District) is the correct death for Joseph Watson.

I agree that Jane (DUSTAN JANE - 73 - 16/05/1854 - 168/B 210 584 Old Machar) is too old. Thanks. I had been looking at (DUSTAN JANE -16/05/1854 - 168/B 200 86 Old Machar), which doesn't give an age but which I think relates to the same death.

Joseph Watson's death certificate states he was the widower of his second wife Margaret Carruthers which is incorrect. It is strange and unusual but she was 30 years younger than Joseph when they married in Stranraer in 1857 (she was the sister of his son John Dustan Watson's wife Eliza Carruthers). She remarried twice 1) Henry Trentum in Glasgow 1/1/1869, with who she had 3 children and 2) James Monteith in Stranraer 29/9/1885 before her death in Kirkcaldy in 1903 (CARRUTHERS MARGARET - 61 - 442/41 Kirkcaldy and Abbotshall).