Author Topic: Chirk green mining families  (Read 1882 times)

Offline Claire Hunter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Chirk green mining families
« on: Thursday 15 August 19 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have very few pictures on my Dads side of the family and I am trying to scrapbook the family history and where they lived.

Does anyone have The Bartons or Roberts in their family . I have Harry ( aka Henry ) Barton who married Mary Louisa Roberts in 1906. Their son was my great grandad Joseph Henry Barton. Harry was a miner and my great grandad was too in later years.
Louisa's Dad , also a Henry was a miner. Both families lived at Chirk green ( 124 and 142 ).

Any info about the families or recommendations for old pics would be much appreciated. Hope this is okay to post.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Chirk green mining families
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 August 19 17:29 BST (UK) »
The Roberts family are mine, great aunty Polly (Mary Louisa)  married Henry Barton. Her parents were Henry Roberts and Elizabeth Stokes. I'm descended from Joseph (my taid/grandfather) who married Mary Edith Mates.

I have some old photos and an extensive tree of the family, especially of the Stokes and Parish family - Elizabeth's line.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 August 19 17:32 BST (UK) »
Here's a small photo of Henry and Elizabeth and their children, circa 1903-4.  Polly is sitting next to her father in white.

I've found a larger image:

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 August 19 17:34 BST (UK) »
And Elizabeth Roberts (mn Stokes)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 August 19 17:40 BST (UK) »
I should have said Welcome - sorry. I was surprised/pleased to see a relative  ;D

If you make a couple more posts you can PM (personalmessage me) and I we can  exchange info that way.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 August 19 17:50 BST (UK) »
If I've worked things out correctly, we are 2nd cousin's twice removed - your grandfather and I are 2nd cousins!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 August 19 18:07 BST (UK) »

Henry was born in Llansilin in 1856, son of Robert Roberts (farm labourer/bailiff) and Margaret Ellis. Margaret died suddenly in 1858. Robert was working at a farm in Chirk at the time. He married an Ann Williams  and they  had a daughter, Mary.  The family can be seen in Chirk in 1871 - Evan was henry's full brother, Catherine was Ann's daughter, daughter of a local farmer(Evans)  before she met Robert.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 August 19 18:09 BST (UK) »
Halton Cottage,, Chirk
Robert Roberts, 50, Ag Lab, b.Llansilin
Ann, 36, b. Llangollen
Henry, 15, lab in coal mine, b. Llansillin
Evan, 12, -do-   
Catherine, 11, scholar, b. Llangollen
Mary, 8, scholar, b. Chirk

Ann and Catherine were b.Llantysilio rather than Llangollen.

I have all the census details and many BMDs. 

Robert is something of an enigma - his father is given as John on both his marriage certs.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 August 19 18:13 BST (UK) »
I remember Etta (Henrietta) the daughter of Henry Barton and Mary Louisa. She married a ?Jones and they lived in the large house opposite the Co-op in Chirk Green. 

(All this from memory as my family files are on another machine!)