Author Topic: Missing family of John Campbell, Breakish, Isle of Skye  (Read 2764 times)

Offline Kiora19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing family of John Campbell, Breakish, Isle of Skye
« on: Saturday 17 August 19 02:26 BST (UK) »
John Campbell and his wife Christina Robertson (M 1837 Parish of Strath) emigrated from Isle of Skye Isle Ornsay, to Australia on the Henry Porcher, one of the Bounty ships.
According to the marriage certificate John was from Breakish and Christina was from Harrapool in the Parish of Strath.
His parents were named John Campbell and Effey McPherson.
I would like to find any siblings and/or where his parents were buried. Or anything else anyone knows about this family!

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing family of John Campbell, Breakish, Isle of Skye
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 August 19 11:28 BST (UK) »
I have checked the records on https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk unfortunately no trace of John anywhere, with mother Effy (I guess Euphemia), however there are a number of records, which only name the father, however none on Skye as far as I could see.

I did find his marriage as you mention, and his wife’s birth/baptism.

JOHN CAMPBELL   Married    CHIRSTY ROBERTSON   16/02/1837   Strath

CHIRSTY ROBERTSON   JOHN ROBERTSON/ANNE MACINTOSH   27/04/1804   Petty

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Kiora19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 August 19 00:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your searching.
I have a few other info titbits to add:
John and Christina had a daughter Effy b 18 Feb 1838. She died the same year. The birth was listed as being in Breakish.
When they reached Australia they had a son John aged 6mths. Must have been born in Skye but I have not found a birth cert.
The ships manifest gave the names of Johns parents as John Campbell (farmer) and Effy McPherson, and Christina's parents were : Neil Robertson and Mary McKinnon. They also emigrated with their 3 younger children and at least one other Robertson family as well as older children. After their year of directed employment they all settled in the vicinity of Shoalhaven NSW.
Given the size of the families, surely there were more Campbells either left on Skye or leaving for somewhere else!
Thanks again
Kiora19

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 August 19 00:33 BST (UK) »
"The ships manifest gave the names of Johns parents as John Campbell (farmer) and Effy McPherson, and Christina's parents were : Neil Robertson and Mary McKinnon. They also emigrated with their 3 younger children"

Can you name the 3 other children please?

It seems the 1st 2 were named after paternal g/parents, is this apparent for the next 2?

There were no BCs pre 1855 in Scotland only Parish Baptismal Records.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Kiora19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 August 19 07:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Annie
Further from the Henry Porcher passenger list:
Neil Robertson age 48 - his father was Donald and his mother was Christina McKinnon
According to my notes on Mary McKinnon - Neil's wife, (age 45 on arrival): her father was Neil and her mother was Mary (I will check that as soon as I can as I wonder if I have recorded her 18 yr old daughter instead)
Adult children on the ship were Neill age 21 and Mary age 18.
The three dependent children were John age 16, Donald age 13 and Margaret age 11.There were a number of other Robertsons on the ship, including a likely sister of Mary Robertson (nee McKinnon).
Her name was Janet Robertson, M to Alexander Robertson (son of Murdock and Flora Robertson).
I have a file which I found on Ancestry listing all the Robertsons on the ship. I can send you this if you like, but I have not checked it against the Bounty list.
Cheers
Barbara

Offline Kiora19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 August 19 07:20 BST (UK) »
Further to the Robertson family:
I think there were three maybe 4 other children who do not seem to be Henry Porcher passsengers:
Donald b 1814
Charles b1815
Christina b 1817 (the one who married John Campbell)
Duncan b 1818
This info has not been verified.
Cheers
Barbara

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 August 19 10:52 BST (UK) »
Breakish is 3 miles from Strath and less than 2 miles from Harrapool.

Strath Parish records on SP.

B = 1815 – 1854
M =1823 – 1854
D = 0

So I think John & Christy if they were born in Strath Parish it was before 1815 and earlier records may be difficult to find.

No Campbell records in Strath until 1833.

There are Robertson at Strath after 1815 but the parent’s names are a question for records in the period 1815 - 1830, if that is when the younger children were born.

MAL. ROBERTSON/MARY MCKINNON

NIEL ROBERTSON/FLORA ROBERTSON

NIEL ROBERTSON/MARGT. MCLEOD

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Kiora19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 August 19 12:25 BST (UK) »
My question is whether John Campbell was a local or just passing through?
Both he and Christina were 26 on arrival in Sydney in 1840, making a birth year of 1814 spot on!
I have seen a map of crofts in Harrapool listing Robertson,  maybe there is something similar for Breakish? I will try the Mcdonald archives when next in Scotland.
Any suggestions gratefully received!!
Cheers
Barbara

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 August 19 16:08 BST (UK) »
Both he and Christina were 26 on arrival in Sydney in 1840, making a birth year of 1814 spot on!
Whether or not it is spot on would depend on when they arrived in Sydney. If they arrived before they had had their birthdays in 1840, they would have been born in 1813 not 1814.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.