Author Topic: Single Row, South Newsham  (Read 2008 times)

Offline MacYork

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Single Row, South Newsham
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 August 19 11:51 BST (UK) »
I'm on my way to the archives later this morning.  I'll see if they can be found.

Twentieth century burials may well be at Cowpen Civil Cemetary

Hi Christine,

That’s really kind. Thank you so much for looking for me!

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 August 19 22:48 BST (UK) »
Sorry to be so late.  It turns out there are loads of Atkinsons in and around Blyth so it has been impossible to isolate those that you need.
Do you have dates of birth - that would help.

I can confirm what Callum said in that Harrison Atkinson was buried at Blyth civil cemetery on 8th May 1929 aged 47.  Address given as 8 Single Row.
Helen was buried on 23rd June 1958 aged 80.  Address given as 57 Union Street Blyth.

One sad but interesting thing I spotted in Cowpen records was an entry in 1895 for Harrison Atkinson aged 1 day.  Address given as Cowpen Village which is Horton parish so it might be worth looking there too.

Christine

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 August 19 01:40 BST (UK) »
From the Internet:

South Newsham

There used to be two rows of "pit cottages" called Single Row and Double Row.

They are long gone now, as is the mine whose workers they were built for ( South Newsham Colliery )

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacYork

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 August 19 18:27 BST (UK) »
Sorry to be so late.  It turns out there are loads of Atkinsons in and around Blyth so it has been impossible to isolate those that you need.
Do you have dates of birth - that would help.

I can confirm what Callum said in that Harrison Atkinson was buried at Blyth civil cemetery on 8th May 1929 aged 47.  Address given as 8 Single Row.
Helen was buried on 23rd June 1958 aged 80.  Address given as 57 Union Street Blyth.

One sad but interesting thing I spotted in Cowpen records was an entry in 1895 for Harrison Atkinson aged 1 day.  Address given as Cowpen Village which is Horton parish so it might be worth looking there too.

Christine

Thanks, Christine. It's immensely kind of you to be looking into them for me and I appreciate it.

With Harrison and Ellen/Helen sorted, I'm hunting down Harrison's dad and granddad! The Union Street address makes sense as I remember one of my great-aunts (her daughter) living there.

John Atkinson who was born 1856 in Seaham Harbour and died in 1938 on Astley Rd Seaton Deleval. He was married twice (his first wife died soon after their marriage while the family was still in Sunderland), so the wife who will likely be buried in the right area is Elizabeth (Born Sunderland 1830, died Seaton Sluice May 1899)

His father was another Harrison Atkinson and he died in May 1913 in the Blyth area. He was born on 23 October 1831 in Bishopwearmouth in Sunderland, likely in Ayres Quay. The last address I have for him is 16 Melton Terrace New Hartley in 1911.

I haven't seen the baby Harrison Atkinson anywhere yet, but he's likely to be related to someone in the tree. Am actively keeping an eye out for him.

Thank you to everyone else for the pictures and info :)

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 September 19 16:14 BST (UK) »

I found one of your burials.

Buried in Seghill churchyard (thanks to Callum for that suggestion)

John Atkinson of 57 Astley Road, Seaton Delaval, buried 9th February 1938 age 81

Didn’t spot Harrison there nor in Horton but I’ll keep thinking.

Christine

Offline MacYork

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 September 19 16:47 BST (UK) »
I can’t thank you enough! Really appreciate your time and that you’ve actually found him!

We did a little diversion on our way back from Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago and popped into Blyth Links Cemetery. We found Harrison (the younger) and Ellen’s grave and it was actually really nice to see that 3 of my great-aunts (their daughters) and their husbands were buried in adjacent plots.

I’m planning on coming north again in October to try and visit the archives. Is there anything I need to know in advance?

Thanks again for finding John, Christine.

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 September 19 21:43 BST (UK) »
There's a lot of information on the Northumberland Archives website.

Unless you've already got a readers card from another county operating the CARN system then you'll need ID to get your readers card.  Also pencils - no pens allowed in the search room.

I would also suggest that you have a list of things you want to look at/for.  There is so much stuff in there you could waste hours looking in the wrong direction.

Hope you make it and enjoy the experience

Christine