Author Topic: Robert Ellis Morgan, civil engineer (emigrant from Ireland to Melbourne)  (Read 2742 times)

Offline Rodney53

• RootsChat Member
  • Owen Wynne Morgan, my 3 x great-grandfather
    • View Profile
Attached is a letter in search of Robert Ellis Morgan, which appeared in:
Queensland Figaro and Punch (Brisbane, Qld. : 1885 - 1889) Sat 25 May 1889 Page 2 Lost Friends.

1. Robert Ellis Morgan and his sister Henrietta Fullerton Morgan (later Mrs Charles East) were the children of Anne and Sackville Hamilton Morgan.
2. Robert E. Morgan married Sarah Palmer in Dublin in 1849. He arrived in Melbourne a few years later, presumably with his wife.
3. The "Echaco railway" mentioned in the Queensland newspaper I take to refer to Echuca in Victoria, but I don't know that.
4. His niece was born Anna Maria East, later Mrs Charles Cassidy.

I am hoping that others may have some further clues about his life in the colonies. A family perhaps?

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Rodney53

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Ellis Morgan, civil engineer (emigrant from Ireland to Melbourne)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 August 19 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Here is a live link to the newspaper cutting from the Queensland Figaro and Punch, 25 May 1889.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/84756686

I have not found Garnong anywhere   ::) but anywhere in Queensland is still a long way from anywhere in Victoria...    There is a Garnant in Queensland...  it is near Rockhampton, and I am unsure when the railway line came to Rockhampton. 

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 August 19 02:57 BST (UK) »
At the online index for Victoria's BDMs there's a 1883 death registration for Sarah MORGAN, aged 54.

Sarah Margt MORGAN,  mother as Margt CUFF, father as Geo PALMER
her spouse as Robert Ellis MORGAN.

The Reference no. is 3680.

Vic BDMs are on special this current month (August 2019).   

https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/research-and-family-history/search-your-family-history

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 August 19 03:15 BST (UK) »
Sarah M MORGAN, married Woman, Residence Wangaratta ...  date of death 15 March 1883, Probate Grant 16 July 1883.

https://prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/wills-and-probates

Her Victoria BDM death certificate should give you quality detailed info, including names of any children, how long in the colony, as well as when and where married. 

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVNQ-DSTP  burial
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JV3B-C9C Probate index reference no.

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 August 19 03:27 BST (UK) »
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/198961595  Ovens and Murray Advertiser  14 July 1883 …

Probate – In the Equity Court, Melbourne ….   The will of Sarah Margaret MORGAN, wife of Richard Ellis MORGAN, of Melbourne, civil engineer …

The deceased had been living apart from her husband for 20 years, during which time she acquired her personal property by her own industry, ….

… her brother, Mr George C Palmer of Wangaratta, now deceased ….

…. She directed .... estate should be converted into money and invested for the benefit of her nephews and nieces then living with her,  viz Julia August, Florence, Margaret, Constance and George EDWARDS. 

The cutting definitely reads Richard Ellis MORGAN, but I suggest that's the 'right' Robert Ellis MORGAN...

JM

Offline Rodney53

• RootsChat Member
  • Owen Wynne Morgan, my 3 x great-grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 August 19 03:32 BST (UK) »
Hello JM,

Thanks a million! These findings are enormously informative.

I will follow up on them.

Much appreciated.

Rodney53

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 August 19 06:21 BST (UK) »
Just a couple of snippets which may shed a little further light:

As already said by JM the PROV will/probate papers for Sarah MORGAN include statements re the marital separation.  One of these says that she has received no support from her husband since September 1857.  She had applied to the Police Magistrate in Buckland (District in North-Eastern Victoria) in January or February 1862, her husband having deserted her,  for an order to protect her earnings.

Robert's whereabouts are described in one  paper as "late of Melbourne".  The advertisement placed in the Melbourne Evening Herald, 22 March 1883,
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/241141258
states that her husband is Robert Ellis MORGAN, deceased.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 August 19 06:48 BST (UK) »
Well spotted Judith.   :)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 August 19 08:45 BST (UK) »
At least one of the nieces and nephews living with Sarah MORGAN was the child of Walter Edward EDWARDS and MARGARET Kate PALMER.

Julia Augusta EDWARDS

She was one of  the executor of the will and was born in Buckland, Vic
Julia Augusta EDWARDS
In 1859
At Buckland, Victoria
Year 1859
Father Walter Edwards EDWARDS
Mother Margaret Kate PALMER
Registration  16554

Margaret Kate PALMER had died young in 1871 aged 36.
Her parents were George PALMER and Margaret CUFFE (#468) ;D

Another executor in the will of Sarah MORGAN was William Cuffe QUIN/N of Jerilderie, NSW.

In 1883, these two executors married in Victoria (#6203)
They had children in Jerilderie.

In 1897 William Cuffe QUIN/N committed suicide, leaving a large estate.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/138290868

His parents are listed as Arthur QUIN and Sarah. I do not know Sarah's maiden name.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk