Author Topic: Help with understanding Dorset OPC Records  (Read 418 times)

Offline hayler3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with understanding Dorset OPC Records
« on: Sunday 25 August 19 06:07 BST (UK) »
I'm having trouble understanding the records could someone please explain what M142 at the end of the burial record for Sarah Cox buried in 1935 means. (http://www.opcdorset.org/ShillingstoneFiles/ShillingstoneBursRH1901-1977.htm)
 Also, how do I find the cemetery? I'm in Australia and not familiar with Shillingstone.
 I have found OPC records for burials in Shillingstone 1851-1900, and 1901-1977. I think there is an earlier record as well but have been unable to find it. I have only been able to find registers with Prefix E and F.
Thank you
Wendy
Bullens of Liverpool,Pearsons of Liverpool,

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help with understanding Dorset OPC Records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 August 19 06:31 BST (UK) »
If you search their main page for M142, you get:

M142; 16/08/1881; George COX; 33; Bachelor; Labourer; Shillingstone; James (Late); Labourer; See F207
M142; 16/08/1881; Sarah Ann HART; 28; Spinster; ; Shillingstone; Robert; Shoemaker; See F256

That is from http://www.opcdorset.org/ShillingstoneFiles/ShillingstoneMarsRH1837-1901.htm

Added:  Nice that they matched marriages to the burials... now you have Sarah's maiden name, if you didn't already know it!

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 August 19 06:51 BST (UK) »
It "looks" like the burial info is for burials at the Church of Holy Rood, as no other cemetery is mentioned.
http://www.opcdorset.org/ShillingstoneFiles/Shillingstone.htm

If you click the link for monumental inscriptions, it has their age of death listed.

Added:  There is a Sarah Cox is listed on that monumental inscription list, and the above link stated the inscriptions were from the Church graveyard.  So Church of Holy Rood it is!

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 August 19 07:16 BST (UK) »
Having visited Shillingstone a few years ago, I can confirm that there is just the one graveyard, situated at the church.

My great-grandfather was the station-master at the railway station ;D
So I have family buried in the churchyard.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline hayler3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 August 19 08:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you both. I will pass on the information to my friend who hopes to visit the Cemetery next month. She has a lot of family that resided in Shillingstone from early the 1800's to the early 1900's.
Your info has been very helpful.
Cheers
Wendyl
Bullens of Liverpool,Pearsons of Liverpool,