Author Topic: Eva H. Graham  (Read 942 times)

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Eva H. Graham
« on: Monday 26 August 19 16:43 BST (UK) »
I have had great help in the past tracing my 2x Great Grandparents Thomas and Elizabeth Graham from Rafeenan, Monaghan. I stumbled on another Graham while reviewing my research and once again need help on how to try and find out more.

On my Great Grandfather’s marriage record James Edward Graham and Rosalie Josephine Webb, church of Ireland, one witness is Eva H. Graham. They married in 1888 in Tipperary. Not sure her connection to my Great Grandfather James. My question is were there specific family members that would be required as witnesses to the wedding?  Have tried census, newspaper archives and so far nothing to find her. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thomas and Elizabeth stayed in Rafeenan all their lives and their children, the ones I found from church records seemed to stay in Monaghan. Have never come across this woman before and I’m so curious to find her.

Thank you for any help or suggestions👍😊🇨🇦

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Eva H. Graham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 August 19 17:11 BST (UK) »
My question is were there specific family members that would be required as witnesses to the wedding? 
Not that I ever heard of. There might have been an age requirement, I don't know. Someone else will.
Did she emigrate?
Have you looked at the civil records, https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp ?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 August 19 17:14 BST (UK) »
Witnesses weren't required to be relatives or even friends of the married couple. In fact, 2 of the most common witnesses in our church for many years were the master of the adjoining school and the sexton who lived across the road.

For reference, here's the 1888 marriage in Cork not Tipperary-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1888/10788/5934235.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 August 19 17:15 BST (UK) »
There was an Eva Helena Graham, nee Bond, who married Richard Heard in Kinsale in 1891. She was the widow of a Malcolm Graham whom she married in Dublin in 1878. Any connections there?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 August 19 17:16 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 August 19 18:00 BST (UK) »

The death of Eva Helena Heard in 1906 at the home for Protestant Incurables in Cork city.   #197

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1906/05558/4559702.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 August 19 19:35 BST (UK) »
Everyone thank you so much. A few great leads to follow up with👍 Once again great people on this site. Very much appreciated here in Canada👍🇨🇦

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 August 19 19:36 BST (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 August 19 20:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone. Mystery solved. Eva H. Graham was the Aunt to my Great Grandmother Rosalie Josephine Webb. I would never have figured this out without your help.

So happy. Cheers😊❤️🇨🇦