Author Topic: Looking for the baptism of Sophia TANNER, Gloucestershire  (Read 739 times)

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Looking for the baptism of Sophia TANNER, Gloucestershire
« on: Tuesday 27 August 19 22:19 BST (UK) »
Evening everyone

According to the (very detailed) information on my 4x-great uncle Joseph EVANS's baptism record (see attachments), his mother, my 4x-great grandmother Sophia TANNER, was born in Chedworth, Gloucestershire. Might anyone with access to the Gloucestershire PRs be able to search for her baptism? I am aware, of course, that just because she was apparently born in Chedworth doesn't necessarily mean she was baptised there (or, indeed, at all), especially with her being a Traveller, but for the moment at least I have to assume she was.

Thanks in anticipation...

Martin

(This has also been posted to the Gloucestershire lookups thread (I wasn't sure which was the most suitable).
BKM/OXF: Harvey, Broughton, Goldswain, Braden, Ridgley, Wheeler, Lunnon, Dean, Austin, Franklin, Baldwin, Blackwell, Brooks, Ashby, East, Goodchild, Loosley, Stratford, Newell, Johnson, Bailey, Hobbs
BRK/OXF: Maskell, Waite, Ilsley, Harwood, Fuce, Lookman, Patey
SSX: Funnell, Hollengam, Gilbert, Ellis, Marchant, Harmer, Godfrey, Stoneham, Percy, Lavender
MDX/LDN/HRT: Seywell, Neville, Woods
KEN: Weller, Bishop, Friday, Maynard
ENG: Pewtress
Romnichal: Evans, Alford, Jeffs, Loveridge

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Looking for the baptism of Sophia TANNER, Gloucestershire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 22:22 BST (UK) »
Evening everyone

According to the (very detailed) information on my 4x-great uncle Joseph EVANS's baptism record his mother, my 4x-great grandmother Sophia TANNER, was born in Chedworth, Gloucestershire. Might anyone with access to the Gloucestershire PRs be able to search for her baptism? I am aware, of course, that just because she was apparently born in Chedworth doesn't necessarily mean she was baptised there (or, indeed, at all), especially as she was a Traveller, but for the moment at least I have to assume she was.

Thanks in anticipation...

Martin

(This has also been posted to the travelling people thread (I wasn't sure which was the most suitable).
BKM/OXF: Harvey, Broughton, Goldswain, Braden, Ridgley, Wheeler, Lunnon, Dean, Austin, Franklin, Baldwin, Blackwell, Brooks, Ashby, East, Goodchild, Loosley, Stratford, Newell, Johnson, Bailey, Hobbs
SSX: Funnell, Hollengam, Gilbert, Ellis, Marchant, Harmer, Godfrey, Stoneham, Percy, Lavender

Online goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the baptism of Sophia TANNER, Gloucestershire
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 23:39 BST (UK) »
Be a good idea to give some clue as to the dates you're looking for ..............

link to other thread topics now merged

A marriage certificate shown on that post for son in 1831 - still need to work out what dates you're thinking of for the mother's birth.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 00:16 BST (UK) »
Be a good idea to give some clue as to the dates you're looking for ..............

That would help, wouldn’t it?

From various censuses I’ve got a birthdate of around 1804 for William (he lived well into his 80s, last appearing on the 1891 census). I would imagine that Sophia was probably born around the same time.

Martin

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 00:18 BST (UK) »
I should add that I believe Sophia was probably born in the first decade of the 19th century.

Martin

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 07:41 BST (UK) »
As the marriage was at South Marston 12 July 1830 - need to check South Marston records to see if any other Tanners married/baptised etc. to try and find family members.

William EVANS of this Parish - Bachelor and Sophia TANNER of this Parish
were married in this Chapel by Banns 12 July 1830.  Both mark their names.

Witnesses: Joseph STONE and Ann SMITH