Author Topic: Grants of Inverlochy Near Tomintoul  (Read 2680 times)

Offline Anita Grant Steele

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grants of Inverlochy Near Tomintoul
« on: Wednesday 28 August 19 07:15 BST (UK) »
Hello,
My apology for the lack of dates here. (Roughly late 1600s - late 1700s)
Our earliest known ancestor is Donald Grant of Inverlochy (near Tomintoul) m. Margaret Cumming
Both buried in Kirkmichael cemetery.

Son John Grant in Inverlochie m(1) Jean Forbes
Kids: Donald, William (Grant of Trois-Rivieres 1743-1810 Came to Canada in 1763, m. Marguerite Fafard dit Laframboise), Jean, Elizabeth, Margaret, Ann.

John Grant in Inverochie m(2) Margaret Cumming
Kids: Donald, James, Unnamed (possibly John?), George (Musician in Elgin;Married Mitchie; son named Mungo), Cuthbert (1763-?; Came to Canada c1791), Ann, Girsel/Grace.

Would love to hear from anyone with a connection.
Thank you in advance.
Anita Grant Steele
Grants of Inverlochie near Tomintoul. William Grant of Trois-Rivieres & Marguerite Fafard dit Laframboise. Cuthbert Grant of Trois-Rivieres.
Grants of Glenlochy & Kilgraston.
Camerons of Temiscaming.
Dobie, Grant, Gerrard, Findlay, Jordan.
Langie/Levreault de Langie

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Grants of Inverlochy Near Tomintoul
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 08:47 BST (UK) »
have you seen this

https://gw.geneanet.org/minou31?n=fafard&oc=2&p=marguerite

added
that is a big age difference - William Grant b 1743  came to Canada 1763 SIX YEARS before Marguerite was born in 1769 - they married 1787 - William 44 and Marguerite 17 yrs old .. :o
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hello, Jean Marc,
Thanks very much for your reply.
No, I'd never been to that site. I did however join it to have a closer look. I am, however, very familiar with the material. Are you a member of this family? If so, can you tell me where you fit in?
Thanks, again!
Anita
Grants of Inverlochie near Tomintoul. William Grant of Trois-Rivieres & Marguerite Fafard dit Laframboise. Cuthbert Grant of Trois-Rivieres.
Camerons of Temiscaming.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 August 19 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hello, Garstonite,
Sorry for my confusion. New here & trying to figure my way around.

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, the age difference is pretty considerable. It's correct, though. He came to Canada in 1763, just days before his 20th b'day. It leaves me wondering if there's another family elsewhere.

I think this line of Grants is kind of obscure; how did you come by it?  Do you know Jean Marc Poulin, the creator of the tree? I've looked briefly on Ancestry and haven't yet found that tree. Do you know how to contact him? What your link displays is very interesting, and I'd really like to have discussions with him.

Thank you, garstonite!
Camerons of Temiscaming.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 August 19 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Anita, and Welcome to RootsChat,

There are lots of very knowlegable people on this site who give their time freely.  It may be best if your query is moved to the relevant Scottish area Forum, where it may get more attention from those with local interest and documents/websites which may help.

I will try and bring this to the Monderators attention.

Good luck with your search.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 November 20 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
My apology for the lack of dates here. (Roughly late 1600s - late 1700s)
Our earliest known ancestor is Donald Grant of Inverlochy (near Tomintoul) m. Margaret Cumming
Both buried in Kirkmichael cemetery.

Son John Grant in Inverlochie m(1) Jean Forbes
Kids: Donald, William (Grant of Trois-Rivieres 1743-1810 Came to Canada in 1763, m. Marguerite Fafard dit Laframboise), Jean, Elizabeth, Margaret, Ann.

John Grant in Inverochie m(2) Margaret Cumming
Kids: Donald, James, Unnamed (possibly John?), George (Musician in Elgin;Married Mitchie; son named Mungo), Cuthbert (1763-?; Came to Canada c1791), Ann, Girsel/Grace.

Would love to hear from anyone with a connection.
Thank you in advance.
Anita Grant Steele

Hello Anita, do you have the grave reference for you Grants in the Kirkmicheal kirkyard, and have you checked the graves to either side to these graves, as they often give a lot of info as to who families they were close to . . .

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 November 20 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Thanks for your message. Yes, I have the Moray book of monuments for the Kirkmichael cemetery, which includes the inscriptions of each of the monuments and a map showing the placement of all the monuments. I also have photos of the markers of 'my' Grant connections. Are you related to this family? Thanks again. Anita
Camerons of Temiscaming.

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 November 20 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Thanks for your message. Yes, I have the Moray book of monuments for the Kirkmichael cemetery, which includes the inscriptions of each of the monuments and a map showing the placement of all the monuments. I also have photos of the markers of 'my' Grant connections. Are you related to this family? Thanks again. Anita

Hello Anita

They all sound a bit posh for out lot, but we do have Grants in the family, I have been doing my best to find Euphemia Grant's birth and parents, she is my x 4 great Grandmother, on searching I did see an Donald Grant who might fit the bill if Euphemia was born an Elspet, just give me moment to root through what I have got because I did see Inverlochy somewhere, but; I don't recall Cummings in it . . .

I need to recheck all I have done today, I have bits and pieces all over, but, I think I am getting mixed up with Donald Grant's marriage to Margaret Ingram, Nov 24 1747, Milltown of Inverory, sorry, but; the bits I do have for Inverlochy I have put up in the photo's which I am sure you will already have . . .

So what do I have, I have an Euphemia Grant from Findon, just south of Tomintoul on the map, no birth, no parents, she married William Shaw of Delnalyon in 1795, William died in 1826 aged 73 and is buried in the grave Km 171, as Euphemia *Grant, as I can find no Euphemia Grant in birth was she not registered being a girl, or was she born Elspet Grant, William Shaw's and Euphemia Grant only daughter baptized 1799 was called Jane, their 2nd son was called William baptized 1797, so I may be looking for a William Grant and a Jane ????, but; their fouth son who is meant to be called after his father is an Alexander baptized 1801, so things might just not follow suit here, so I have a William Shaw buried in Km171 with Euphemia Grant; but as William was born in 1753 that means he married aged 41, they only had 4 children, so how old was Euphemia grant when she married, and could her mother's name be Jannet, next grave we have is Km 174 where there are 2 Donald Grants buried, births, 23/12/1823 and 1810, who are these Donalds I wonder . . .

Does Euphemia Grant just get a mention on the grave KM 171 as I have her buried as follows: NM061389 - EUPHEMIA GRANT - 12 FEB 1842 - Headstone Ref : Tst84 - she lived a lot longer than William Shaw who died in 1826, but; as I have no age of her at the time of her marriage in 1795, I have no idea on her birth date . . .

Donald Grant marriage to Janet, not sure on the surname More or Moir in 1762 is a worry as Janet is a widow, who was she prior to this, as I did wonder if they could be the parents to Euphemia Grant . . .

So did any of your Grants have a link to Findon in any way . . . ?

No help to you, but; you never know you may be a great help to me . . . : )

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 11:53 GMT (UK) »
I can find no Euphemia Grant in birth was she not registered being a girl, or was she born Elspet Grant
Highly unlikely. Far more likely that the record of her baptism, if it ever existed, has not survived.

See https://www.whatsinaname.net/ - there is no evidence of any confusion or interchangeability between Elspet(h) and Euphemia.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.