Author Topic: Den Haag, Netherlands - Teunia Johanna Meurs, 1993 Death Notice Request  (Read 503 times)

Offline Rakiura John

• RootsChat Member
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
Den Haag, Netherlands - Teunia Johanna Meurs, 1993 Death Notice Request
« on: Thursday 29 August 19 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hello. I'm trying to identify the landscape artist who signed his paintings "CH Meurs" (c1950).
I'm currently focusing on him possibly being Cornelis Hendrikus Meurs, born 1 Sep 1910 in den Haag, son of Pieter Meurs and Mintje Zijlstra; he married Cornelia Everdina Houtman in den Haag in 1933 (he was then a Housepainter); but after that I can not find him. I believe his sister, Teunia Johanna Meurs (or Meijers) died on 5 Febuary 1993 in den Haag. Her Death Notice might give me a clue as to his whereabouts. I would be extremely grateful if someone in the den Haag area could check the local newspaper/s for such Death Notice and email a copy to me. Thank you.
Attached is a close-up of his signature on the painting my parents brought with them when they emigrated to New Zealand in 1952. My mother says that her father (who was also a Housepainter, in Wateringen) arranged the painting (the scene is a pretty lane where my parents spent much time while they were courting) - perhaps her father and CH Meurs were colleagues at the time.

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Den Haag, Netherlands - Teunia Johanna Meurs, 1993 Death Notice Request
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 August 19 16:58 BST (UK) »
a bit more:
- One son is born in 1934 in Den Haag and an other in 1936 in Stompwijk
- In 1933 Cornelis is still a “huisschilder” (house painter), but in 1936 he is registered as “kunstschilder” (art painter). However, https://rkd.nl/en/ does not mention him, so I wonder ....
- In 1936 he moves back to Den Haag (from Stompwijk) and is still there in March 1939

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 August 19 18:27 BST (UK) »
BTW did you pick up from the marriage certificate that Cornelis' marriage to Cornelia ended in divorce in Feb 1954?

Offline Rakiura John

• RootsChat Member
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 August 19 08:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tree Spirit. The occupation of "art painter" is promising, certainly reason for me to further explore this particular CH Meurs.

Yes, I did notice the 1954 divorce.

https://www.nationaalarchief.nl/onderzoeken/index/nt00435/17c3d5fa-d2d8-11e8-828a-00505693001d  has his sister as having been awarded a silver Orde van Oranje-Nassau. The record seems to indicate she married a Meijer. From what I can make out, the decoration seems to relate to her service in the Royal Netherlands Tourist Board?