Author Topic: Patrick Houston Henderson Gardner  (Read 2411 times)

Offline jillaru

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick Houston Henderson Gardner
« on: Friday 30 August 19 01:12 BST (UK) »
Hello newbie here,
I have been looking for my grandfather for a very long time who turned up in Australia in 1914 when he got married. His certificate states his name as above his birth year as 1886 and place of birth as Greenock. He is a sailor of some variety i.e. Captain??? So I have looked on Scotspeople I have called Edinburgh bdm and have not been able to find any record, with a name like that how hard should it be? Right. Any help would be much appreciated
Gardner, Houston, Parmer Williams

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Houston Henderson Gardner
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 August 19 01:32 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!  ;)

My 1st question is...who were named on his marriage as his parents & what occ. for father?

Can you please give all info. from marriage (exactly what's written) for others to help?

Annie

Add...Any info. i.e. where married/died/names of children in order...
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 August 19 03:00 BST (UK) »
Can't find any records for someone of this name in Australia - no death, not even the marriage in 1914??

Annette

Added: now found marriage entry, first name written as Patk.!
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 August 19 03:21 BST (UK) »

Search BDM VIC .......GARDINER.....marriage 1914......births....1914, 1916, 1918

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 August 19 04:08 BST (UK) »
Closest match I can find is;

GARDNER PETER 26 (Peter/Patrick interchangeable)
564/2 11/ 3
Greenock West, Renfrew

With a Thomas Gardner aged 23

There are no transcriptions to check anywhere for any other info. (occ/where born/living) i.e. the only way of knowing is the original at scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 August 19 08:19 BST (UK) »
If he was a sea captain there should be some record of him in the lists of captains in the London Metropolitan Archives.

You could start by looking for references to him in the shipping arrivals in the Australian newspapers at Trove https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/?q= because it is easier to find captains' records if you know which ships they commanded.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 August 19 10:55 BST (UK) »
Given the combination of names it may be worth looking for marriages in the Greenock area around the right time for Gardner-Henderson, Gardner-Houston or Henderson-Houston. If you can find a possible couple then you could build out their extended family to see if you can find any trace of your Patrick.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 August 19 20:17 BST (UK) »
Patrick Houston Henderson Gardner is said to have been born 18/12/1886 (Greenock), married in this name 1914, plus in this name in electoral rolls but various trees state he died Melbourne 1943 - however, the death is registered as plain Peter Gardmer aged 60 i.e. bc.1883!!

As we know, there is no such birth registered on SP or indeed anything like it!

For what it's worth, I believe a) that he was some 9 years older that he admitted to (probably because his wife was born 1895 and some 18 years younger than him) and b) that he was indeed born as a plain Peter Gardner.

Peter Gardner was born 15/12/1877 Greenock, son of Peter Gardner, Sailmaker and Jane Shaw.

In 1881 he is with his mother Jane, in 1891 at 'in the River Tay, Woodhaven Pier, Woodside, Forgan, Renfrewshire described as 'inmate' and scholar.  Some sort of maritime school??   I cannot find any trace of him in UK census records after 1891.

Peter Gardner, Sailmaker, son of Peter Gardner, Baker and Jane Houston  married Jane Shaw, daughter of John Shaw, Joiner Foreman and Margaret Davidson 29/10/1869 Port Glasgow.

Peter, sailmaker, has a fluctuating birth year but would appear to have been born ca.1848 Port Glasgow - died 1924 Paisley.

Peter Gardner and Jane Shaw had the following children born Greenock:

Margaret Davidson born 18/10/1871
Jane Houston born 21/5/1874
Peter born 15/12/1877
William Alexander born 27/9/1881
Annie  bc.1886/7

I feel sure that Peter Gardner born 15/12/1877 and Patrick Houston Henderson Gardner born 18/12/1886 are in fact the same person.   I can't prove it however.  (Some trees on Ancestry have entries for Peter Patrick Houston Henderson Gardner!!)

I can't explain why he became Patrick in Australia but I can understand why he claimed an 1886 birthdate since he had a much younger wife. 

None of the many trees I've looked have a source for the 18/12/1886 birthdate, and the actual birthday of Peter is just 3 days out I.e. 15/12/1877.

Plus, all the trees seem to claim the death of a Peter Gardner 1943 Melbourne as being that for Patrick Houston Henderson Gardner?? (this person does not seem to have existed with this name before arriving in Australia)!

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 August 19 11:36 BST (UK) »
in 1891 at 'in the River Tay, Woodhaven Pier, Woodside, Forgan, Renfrewshire described as 'inmate' and scholar.  Some sort of maritime school??

HMS Mars ?
https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/2015/10/27/when-mars-was-the-only-hope-ship-gave-wayward-dundee-lads-a-new-opportunity/

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records