Author Topic: Searching Military records around 1894 UK  (Read 5869 times)

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching Military records around 1894 UK
« on: Saturday 31 August 19 00:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,
We are struggling to identify a certain person by the name of John Greenfield who married Ada New in 1894 at Newbury, Berkshire England.  At the time, the marriage certificate shows that he was based at Aldershot, was in the Army Corp, he was aged 22 years and his wife 19 years of age.  His Father was John Greenfield, a Bricklayer.   This would make John Greenfield Jnr. being born around 1872.
There were 3 children born from this marriage with the surname of Greenfield, but by 1901 census, his occupation was then a House Painter, still living in Newbury.

There is a gap of 5 years before more children were born, these children now having the surname of Greenfield/Broadbridge. 1911 census showed Ada living with William Broadbridge and living at Handsworth, Staffordshire, his occupation being Tram Driver.
One could assume that her marriage had failed with John Greenfield, and that Ada then became involved with this gentleman Broadbridge.

However there is a feeling that John Greenfield maybe then changed his name to William Broadbridge, due to some problems he may have had with the military, particularly in regard to being called up for service.   Another thought is that he was always William Broadbridge, changed his name to John Greenfield when he married Ada, and then in trouble with the military, reverted back to his original name of Broadbridge.     

So looking between the last child born in Newbury in 1898 and 1903, we have been searching for military records to confirm this John Greenfield, and have found one John being charged 18.12.1900 RFA Reg - Records WO86/51 which shows he was given 14 days detention apparently in regard to not wearing the correct uniform.  Have not found military record for William Broadbridge.

We now come to 1939 census, and we finally have a date of birth for this William Broadbridge, which is now 21.4.1869, a Retired Train Driver, 3 years older than John Greenfield. (we have photographs of him in train driver's uniform)

Wondering if anyone could assist me to ascertain any military records for enlistment in the Army at Aldershot from around 1891 through to 1894 with the names of William Broadbridge or John Greenfield.

It is all quite a strange scenario, but anything was possible in those days, to avoid the call up.

Jan

New, Thorn, Bird, Ruffey, Bosley, Belcher- Newbury Berkshire
Haynes/Haines - Much Birch Herefordshire, Monmouth Wales
Kearn/Watkins- Llanllwchaiarn/Newtown, Wales, Tyberton, Herefordshire
Gwilliam - Monmouth Wales, Herefordshire
Collier, Jackson - Salford, Manchester Lancashire
Saunders - Middlesex, Devon
Benson - Edinburgh, Scotland
Callander - Falkirk, Scotland
Ambrose - Liverpool, Manchester Lancashire, Canada
Timms, Elliman - Oxfordshire, Warwickshire
Ellison - Manchester/Portsmouth Hampshir

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Searching Military records around 1894 UK
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 August 19 07:09 BST (UK) »
You don't mention his birth place, both the census you mention have Ada's husband as born Fulham, Middlesex  :)

The 1939 was not a census but a registration for war purposes.  :)

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 August 19 07:38 BST (UK) »
Rosie,
All right then I used the wrong word, registration for war purposes in 1939.  John Greenfield was born in Fulham, also was William Broadbridge born in Fulham.
Jan

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 August 19 08:16 BST (UK) »
Who were the wedding witnesses
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 August 19 09:08 BST (UK) »
Rosie, All Ada New's family, Father Charles New Snr.,  Brother Charles E New Jnr., Aunt Elizabeth New and Ada's younger sister Edith Nellie New.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 August 19 09:24 BST (UK) »
What was the exact wording of his regiment?  "Army Corp"  makes no sense but registrars often garbled army titles.

There was no call up until 1916 which does not seem to fit your suspected name change (or does it?).  He was too old for WW2 call up.

The court martial register will have no personal identifying detail but it is on Fold3 which I don't have access to (or you need to see it at the National Archives) so if his specific unit is there it may help.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 August 19 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,
We are struggling to identify a certain person by the name of John Greenfield who married Ada New in 1894 at Newbury, Berkshire England.  At the time, the marriage certificate shows that he was based at Aldershot, was in the Army Corp, he was aged 22 years and his wife 19 years of age.  His Father was John Greenfield, a Bricklayer.   This would make John Greenfield Jnr. being born around 1872.
There were 3 children born from this marriage with the surname of Greenfield, but by 1901 census, his occupation was then a House Painter, still living in Newbury.

There is a gap of 5 years before more children were born, these children now having the surname of Greenfield/Broadbridge. 1911 census showed Ada living with William Broadbridge and living at Handsworth, Staffordshire, his occupation being Tram Driver.
One could assume that her marriage had failed with John Greenfield, and that Ada then became involved with this gentleman Broadbridge.

However there is a feeling that John Greenfield maybe then changed his name to William Broadbridge, due to some problems he may have had with the military, particularly in regard to being called up for service.   Another thought is that he was always William Broadbridge, changed his name to John Greenfield when he married Ada, and then in trouble with the military, reverted back to his original name of Broadbridge.     

So looking between the last child born in Newbury in 1898 and 1903, we have been searching for military records to confirm this John Greenfield, and have found one John being charged 18.12.1900 RFA Reg - Records WO86/51 which shows he was given 14 days detention apparently in regard to not wearing the correct uniform.  Have not found military record for William Broadbridge.

We now come to 1939 census, and we finally have a date of birth for this William Broadbridge, which is now 21.4.1869, a Retired Train Driver, 3 years older than John Greenfield. (we have photographs of him in train driver's uniform)

Wondering if anyone could assist me to ascertain any military records for enlistment in the Army at Aldershot from around 1891 through to 1894 with the names of William Broadbridge or John Greenfield.

It is all quite a strange scenario, but anything was possible in those days, to avoid the call up.

Jan

Hi, 

I am interested in learning about the possibility of men avoiding the call up in those days ...  I was  not aware of any compulsory  military call up in that era  ...   I had understood UK conscription into the army was introduced during  WWI ... I was not  aware of any in the 1890s or 1900s,  Boer War in Africa saw volunteers from throughout the Empire serve there. 

I am keen to learn more...  :D

JM in NSW, Australia.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 August 19 10:13 BST (UK) »
What I am looking for is a register of persons enlisting around the late 1890's, which would have been the Boer War.

Jan

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 August 19 10:32 BST (UK) »
I am somewhat confuddled ... if you have him on the UK 1901census as a house painter,  why would he have been in the Army 1899-1902 Boer War ... in Africa?

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.