Author Topic: Looking for burial - Catherine Russell died Bonnybridge Falkirk 1873  (Read 1432 times)

Offline SCantwell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for burial - Catherine Russell died Bonnybridge Falkirk 1873
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 September 19 05:57 BST (UK) »
I have one further query regarding the baptism of Helen Russell in 1818. Scotlands People have two transcriptions for Helen Russell with the same detail but different reference numbers.  Does anyone know what the difference b/w them is?  Were they transcribed from different registers or are they from the same register.  I did obtain a copy of the original baptism today via FamilySearch and it was in the "Kirk sessions records, births and baptisms, 1784-1860, marriages, 1783-1784, proclamations of marriage, 1855-1860, Falkirk" GSF 304668.

Shirlee
ARTHUR Shetland, Scotland BRADSHAW, London, England; CANTWELL, Tipperary, Ireland,; CARRICK, Glasgow, Scotland; GOAR/GORE Orkney, Scotland, HAM, Kilkhampton, Cornwall, England; JOHNSON Shetland, Scotland, KINNA/KINNANE, Co. Clare, Ireland; MEEHAN, Co. Limerick, Ireland; MILNE Orkney, Scotland, MOUNTJOY, Hartland, Devon, England; REARDON, Tipperary, Ireland; STEPHENSON/STEVENSON, Londonderry, Ireland

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 September 19 10:15 BST (UK) »
One of the records for Helen in 1818 states gender unknown the other record female, there is also an unusual note on both records, “found in 1827” I have not seen that on records before.

JOHN RUSSELL/CATHERINE HENDERSON FRCH2V26 FOUND IN 1827

Maybe one is from the original register and the other later transcripts, I’m not sure.
I bet Forfarian will.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 September 19 18:45 BST (UK) »
You're very kind, ColC. Thank you. But I fear that I am going to disappoint you.

I can only see one reference on SP to the baptism of h*l*n r*s*l, mother h*nd*, in 1818. That is the one you referred to with "FRCH2V26 FOUND IN 1827".

This could be a quirk of SP - I have often imagined that something I found there before is not appearing on a later search, but maybe I wasn't imagining it at all! I'll have a look again later.

FRCH2V26 is a weird reference. Normally you get a reference starting with FRxxx when the record is out of chronological sequence and therefore not on the page where you would expect to find it, but on Page xxx. This isn't important if you are using SP but knowing what xxx is (and how it relates to the page numbering in the original book) can save you a lot of time if you're scrolling through a microfilm.

I've never seen one with 'found in yyyy' before.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline SCantwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 September 19 21:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you both ColC and Forfarian, but having also had dialogue with ScotlandsPeople it turns that CH2 is "Church of Scotland kirk sessions, presbyteries, synods and other bodies (NRS reference CH2), 1569-2006"

This entry: RUSSELL HELEN   JOHN RUSSELL/CATHERINE HENDERSON FRCH2V26 FOUND IN 1827 U 11/11/1818 479/260 19  Falkirk

was found in: "Kirk sessions records, births and baptisms, 1784-1860, marriages 1783-1784, proclamations of marriage, 1855-1860, Falkirk  GS film 304668".

It seems that CH2 record can be found on FamilySearch as "Kirk session minutes, CH2/400/13, November 1803-January 1833 GS Film 4101322" but it is hasn't been indexed yet.

Thank you for all your help. :) :) :)

Shirlee
from a very wet Wellington, NZ
ARTHUR Shetland, Scotland BRADSHAW, London, England; CANTWELL, Tipperary, Ireland,; CARRICK, Glasgow, Scotland; GOAR/GORE Orkney, Scotland, HAM, Kilkhampton, Cornwall, England; JOHNSON Shetland, Scotland, KINNA/KINNANE, Co. Clare, Ireland; MEEHAN, Co. Limerick, Ireland; MILNE Orkney, Scotland, MOUNTJOY, Hartland, Devon, England; REARDON, Tipperary, Ireland; STEPHENSON/STEVENSON, Londonderry, Ireland

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 September 19 22:10 BST (UK) »
Shirlee, do try to forget about FamilySearch and concentrate on Scotland's People. The information on FamilySearch is very useful as a finding aid, but basically it is an index to the original records at Scotland's People.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 September 19 10:23 BST (UK) »
I’m glad you have managed to sort out the two entries, which only show if you search for both genders.

RUSSELL   HELEN   JOHN RUSSELL/CATHERINE HENDERSON FRCH2V26 FOUND IN 1827   U   11/11/1818   479/   260 19   Falkirk
RUSSELL   HELEN   JOHN RUSSELL/CATHERINE HENDERSON FRCH2V26 FOUND IN 1827   F   11/11/1818   479/   50 0   Falkirk

Regards from Soggy Scotland, Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 September 19 11:37 BST (UK) »
Weird or what. I ran exactly the same search again - h*l*n* r*s*l in 1818, both genders, and both entries appeared.

479 is the number for the parish of Falkirk
The next number is usually the volume number, but both 50 and 260 are too large - I am quite sure that the parish of Falkirk wouldn't have run to 260 volumes
The final number is usually the page, but Page 0 is peculiar

Have you actually viewed both originals to see if they are identical?

Best wishes from non-soggy Scotland, where it was a lovely warm sunny day yesterday and is dry so far with a howling gale today.