Author Topic: Captain Evans, master mariner, Llangrannog  (Read 2007 times)

Offline Bathonian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Captain Evans, master mariner, Llangrannog
« on: Wednesday 11 September 19 15:50 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me in finding out about him. He was always absent when the census were taken in 1851, 1861. He was married to Mary, and they lived in Bronhawen and had 4 children, John, Sarah, Margaret and Daniel. Mary was a widow by the time the 1871 census was taken. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Somerset: Parfitt,Cooke,Mears,Mathews,Snooke,Badman,Ward,Hobbs.
Wilts: Hancock, Eyres, Allen,Wilmot,Carpenter,Plank, Burgess.
Dorset; Trim,Gray,Young.
Lancs: Scott,Hardman, Booth.
Carms: Morgans,Morris, Price,Thomas
Her; Ledster,Taylor,Fox,Barley, Powell,Smith
Middx: Page,Bishop.
Glam: Rees,Evans,Williams,Lewis,Hopkins,Jenkin,Hugh(es)
Cards: Evans,Davies,Jenkins
LNK: Scott, Lawson,Meikle, Bunton,Semple,Stobo,Alison, Craig, Weir, Couper,Stewart, Thomson,Draffan, Hay

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Evans, master mariner, Llangrannog
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 September 19 16:05 BST (UK) »
When was the youngest child born?  That would narrow down a date for his death between that and 1871 but he may have died at sea if he was marinating. 

Do you know when he and Mary married?  If after c1837 you could get the certificate to find the name of his father/witnesses etc which may help trace his background.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Bathonian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 September 19 16:16 BST (UK) »
His son John was born in 1852. With an "Evans" surname and "Mary" as his wife, it's like a needle in a haystack. Although she was in all the census returns from 1851 to 1891, but unfortunately he was always at sea until he died between '61 an'71. I was hoping someone might have had information on Master Mariners of Llangrannog.
Dorset; Trim,Gray,Young.
LNK: Scott, Lawson,Meikle, Bunton,Semple,Stobo,Alison, Craig, Weir, Couper,Stewart, Thomson,Draffan, Hay

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 September 19 16:19 BST (UK) »
I see.  There could be a report in a local newspaper of the time if something happened to him so worth a look in those.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 September 19 10:32 BST (UK) »
His son John was born in 1852. With an "Evans" surname and "Mary" as his wife, it's like a needle in a haystack. Although she was in all the census returns from 1851 to 1891, but unfortunately he was always at sea until he died between '61 an'71. I was hoping someone might have had information on Master Mariners of Llangrannog.
Ancestry has a fascinating collecttion: UK and Ireland, Masters and Mates Certificates, 1850-1927. One quirk: sometimes the search brings you into the middle of records of one man, so it's worth going backwards from that point as well as forwards.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 September 19 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have a look at Welsh Mariners Index - welshmariners.org.uk

I looked for the surname Evans and there are of course lots, but following a place of birth as Cardiganshire and then looking for Llangrannog, there are several entries including a Benjamin Evans who died on 10 Sept 1867 at Itapirn - born in 1827.

Alan

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 September 19 14:58 BST (UK) »
The 1871 census has a son Daniel T Evans.The GRO birth indices have a Daniel Thomas Evans born 1862 in Newcastle Emlyn district,the correct one for LLangran(n)og.A reasonable guess is that Captain Evans is a Thomas.
Te 1851 census  has Mary again in Bronhawen as a Master Mariner's wife,though not with any relevant family.I can't currently find Bronhawen in 1841,to see if there are further clues.
It's a reasonable guess that you are looking for a marriage of Mary Davies to Thomas Evans,1847-1851,Newcastle Emlyn district.

Regards
Roger

Offline Bathonian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 September 19 16:35 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the replies. I found the welshmariners website and only found 2 ships masters. The first was a Thomas, but it seems he was married to Jane. The other was Benjamin, who drowned at the time between 1861 and 1871. He drowned at Itapirn (or is it Itapira in Brazil). The only marriages between 1847 and 1851 was in Cardigan (Mary Elis) in Dec 1848 and in Lampeter (Mary Walters) in Mar 1847. There's also one in 1855 at Lampeter to Mary Jones. So I'll have to keep digging. But thanks to you all for your efforts.
Dorset; Trim,Gray,Young.

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 September 19 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There are potentially 2 Free BMD entries which could be the marriage of your Mary Davies and Thomas Evans -

1845 Newcastle in Emlyn Mar Qtr Ref 26/767 or
1847 Newcastle in Emlyn Sept Qtr Ref 26/823

There is a further one in Dec Qtr 1848 but this Mary I think married a James Evans, although there is a Thomas Evans on the list of potential spouses.

Alan

PS - Regards the 1841 census I can see 4 entries for a Mary Davies in Llangranog - difficult at this time to identify which one it might be.