Author Topic: Cornwall Births and Deaths records  (Read 456 times)

Offline Tim Kelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cornwall Births and Deaths records
« on: Friday 13 September 19 15:18 BST (UK) »
HI, Researching my family in Cornwall and records seem to stop pre 1530. Really happy to have gone back so far so just checking if this is as far as I can go. Thanks.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cornwall Births and Deaths records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 September 19 15:34 BST (UK) »
Using Cornwall-OPC-Database, check on the Coverage by Parish section.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 September 19 15:52 BST (UK) »
HI, Researching my family in Cornwall and records seem to stop pre 1530. Really happy to have gone back so far so just checking if this is as far as I can go. Thanks.

It was only in 1538 that Thomas Cromwell commanded that all priests must keep a record of baptisms, marriages and burials in their parishes.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 September 19 15:56 BST (UK) »
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 September 19 16:06 BST (UK) »
Probably not helpful to the immediate enquiry but may be of interest:
https://archive.org/stream/parishregisterso00coxjuoft/parishregisterso00coxjuoft_djvu.txt
Chapter XIII is the relevant bit; I don't know whether modern research has shown any more information.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 September 19 16:19 BST (UK) »

Chapter XIII is the relevant bit; I don't know whether modern research has shown any more information.
Page 235; "As to the registers said to begin prior to Cromwell's order of 1538, the large majority of the forty set forth in the Blue Book prove on investigation to be but moonshine........Thus in the case of Penkevil, Cornwall, the initial date of 1516, as usually set forth, proves to be 1576, and that of Sinnington, Yorks, 1577 instead of 1517;"

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk