Author Topic: Help please dating and locating a family holiday photo Minnie Swingler and John  (Read 3109 times)

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help please dating and locating a family holiday photo Minnie Swingler and John
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 00:58 BST (UK) »
Wellington Pier was only 700 ft. long.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help please dating and locating a family holiday photo Minnie Swingler and John
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 01:18 BST (UK) »
Wellington Pier was only 700 ft. long.

Yes, it certainly isn't the longest pier.
I'm afraid I can't estimate how long the pier is in deejayEn's photo  :-\  - but counting the number of shields that can be seen across the pier from the left of the white structure (which I believe is the domed booth or shelter near the beginning of the pier) it doesn't have any more than what can be seen it the image of Wellington Pier. The top right hand corner where the people are is, in my opinion, where the pier joins the promenade.
However, I'm no expert on piers  ;D so can't be sure. My eyes are tired and my bed is calling me !

Looby :)

Offline deejayEn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 01:38 BST (UK) »
Jool - thank you, I think you are right that it is Great yarmouth. I found some old postcards of Yarmouth pier from the same era on eBay and it does look just like that. I think we can see the wide pier at an angle so it looks like I has more legs on the right than it does and the pavilion building is somehow bleached out at the top of my photo.

Thanks to all who replied.

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 20:16 BST (UK) »
I thought the Wellington Pier shields looked a pretty good match, but needed to see more photos of the pier to convince myself.  I think the photo of Wellington Pier Looby and Solidrock posted convinces me. When you mentioned your family holidayed in Cromer I decided to focus on Norfolk - starting with Great Yarmouth  ;D
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 22:21 BST (UK) »
Great bit of detective work Jool, I saw it last night and was convinced that you had found a match but have just got round to commenting as I have been out all day. Nice one  8)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 22:25 BST (UK) »
Yes, well done again , Jool.
Thank goodness for those shields   ;D
Looby :)

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 22:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your kind comments Carol and Looby - I do love a good photo hunt  ;D
Robbins - Wolverhampton.

Offline deejayEn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 23:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Jool. If I have any other photo location mysteries, I know where to come!

It's funny that one of the early replies mentioned Australia (albeit jokingly) because that's where the photo came from. A distant cousin of mine got in contact recently and sent me dozens of photos of my mum's family from the 1920 and 30s that I had never seen before. When his grandfather emigrated to Melbourne in 1927 he took with him a batch of photos of his family including this one (and others were sent to him later) and in some cases these would seem to be the only surviving copies (my great grandmother's home was bombed during the war and she lost all her photos). I was so pleased to see them. He didn't know who anyone in the photo was let alone the date or location. Now I can tell him.

Thank you!

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 23:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Jool. If I have any other photo location mysteries, I know where to come!

It's funny that one of the early replies mentioned Australia (albeit jokingly) because that's where the photo came from. A distant cousin of mine got in contact recently and sent me dozens of photos of my mum's family from the 1920 and 30s that I had never seen before. When his grandfather emigrated to Melbourne in 1927 he took with him a batch of photos of his family including this one (and others were sent to him later) and in some cases these would seem to be the only surviving copies (my great grandmother's home was bombed during the war and she lost all her photos). I was so pleased to see them. He didn't know who anyone in the photo was let alone the date or location. Now I can tell him.

Thank you!

What a lovely story, thanks for sharing the background to the photo you posted.  You now have family photos you ever expected to see and your distant cousin now knows who and where they were taken  :D

Feel free to post any more photos you may have, we love a challenge  ;D
Robbins - Wolverhampton.