Author Topic: Edmund Dwyer  (Read 2925 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Edmund Dwyer
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 September 19 02:44 BST (UK) »
Its a huge coincidence that a Patrick Dwyer b 1863 was living in Ballina in 1903-4. I noticed no mention of Edmund on the Trove obit for Cornelius but then he died in 1906 and Cornelius in 1913 .. survived by "wife and children" which isn't that helpful.

shume

Hi, 

I may have missed it, but errr .... how do you know that the Patrick DWYER who was living in Ballina in 1903-4 was born in 1863?    it was not yet compulsory to enrol.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 September 19 02:59 BST (UK) »
Sands Country Commercial Directory 1901 (so as at close of entries end of Oct 1900) page 861.
WARDELL
Edwd. DWYER,  Wheelwright and Blacksmith
NO others by that surname listed for Wardell.

http://cdn.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/history/archives/sands/1900-1909/1901-part8.pdf page 46 of 61 at that pdf.

Ballina Commercial in 1901 is at part 7,  none with the surname DWYER listed.
http://cdn.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/history/archives/sands/1900-1909/1901-part7.pdf
page 7 of that pdf

Excellent resources, live links in many instances, and free to search  … NSW RChat Resources Board https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=369703.0

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 September 19 03:40 BST (UK) »
MODIFYING at 7.30 pm AEST NSW Re decipher location....

Re the DWYER family on the Racehorse, arriving to NSW 22 September 1866
http://indexes.records.nsw.gov.au/ebook/list.aspx?series=NRS5316&item=4_4789&ship=Racehorse   This is the live link to the passenger list

Richard DWYER, AGED 23, a labourer, from Tipperary, I(reland), Roman Catholic, Can Read and Write.
Bridget DWYER, aged 23, wife, also from Tipperary, Roman Catholic and can Read and Write
Ellen DWYER, aged 2, Tipperary, Roman Catholic
Edmund DWYER, aged 1, Tipperary, Roman Catholic

The Immigration Deposit Journals for that voyage show
Certificate No
Deposit No
Depositor
Date of Deposit
Christian Name and Surname at full length
Whether Husband or Wife resident in the Colony
Trade or Calling
Where living – in Great Britain or Ireland
Name and Address of some person of note to whom reference can be made respecting the Emigrants
Proportion to be applied to Passage £ s d
Porportion to be applied towards Outfit   £ s d
Total £ s d
Remarks

The depositor was Dennis BARRAGRY, he was aged 22.   He provided for the following:
Richard DWYER aged 23;  Bridget DWYER 23; Ellen DWYER 2 ½;  Edmund DWYER 6 months;  Mary O’CONNOR 40; Elizabeth SLADE 28; Michael SLADE 22.
Richard and Bridget were from Tipperary, BUT THE REST OF GROUP WERE NOT, I have attached a snip with their location in long hand.  I am not familiar with Irish localities.   ****
Mary was a Widow,  Elizabeth a Servant and Michael a labourer.

Referee was Revd S HOWLEY, Tipperary
The Immigration Deposit Journals are available on Microfilm at the NSW Archives, Kingswood, NSW.  Reel 2672 for the above info re Dennis BARRAGRY

Here's the newspaper announcement re those deposits ... SMH 25 Sept 1866, 
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/28613152  - There's DWYER, O'CONNOR and SLADE listings against Denis (one 's') BARRAGRY.

Yes, well ... err .... the word I could not read ... yes ... it is IRELAND ...
So the DWyer Family and Mary and Elizabeth and Michael ... were from ..
Tipperary,
Co(unty ) Tipperary
IRELAND.
 :-[  :-[  :-[  ???  ::) ... my specs needed cleaning....

JM 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 September 19 04:34 BST (UK) »
Denis BARRAGRY is listed in the Sydney Sands Alphbetical Directories...  in 1869

He had a bakery 181 Cumberland Street, The Rocks  :) and he is also listed at Bullanaming St, Redfern

In the 1867 Sands directory there is a Richd DWYER at 190 Cumberland St, a shoemaker, AND a Miss Bridget DWYER, grocer, 181 Cumberland St.  ...

The City of Sydney Archives ... and their Assessment Books may be able to help ...
https://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/history/archives 
https://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections/house-and-building-histories/assessment-books

May or may not be relevant :
DEATHS
22 May 1897 Freeman's Journal
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/115473998
DWYER May 17th 1897, Bridget the dearly beloved wife of Richard Dwyer of 134 Dowling St, Woollomooloo.  sister of Mr P Dimond of William Street.  Deeply regretted by all who knew her.  May her soul rest in peace.
8 September 1899, Australian Star
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/228755834 
DWYER On September 8, 1899, at his residence, 134 Dowling Street, Woolloomooloo, Richard DWYER aged 50 years R.I.P.

NSW BDM online index - deaths
Bridget DWYER, parents as William and Mary, registered Sydney #3540/1897
Richard DWYER, parents as Jeremiah and Ellen, registered Sydney, #8336/1899

I cannot see an obvious connection to the chap who died at age 43 in 1906, registered Ballina #11645/1906.

JM

Offline Lakelass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 September 19 07:03 BST (UK) »
Hi to all & thank you,

I have estimated Edmund Dwyers birth from the age on daughters birth cert (reg. Ballina), marriage cert.(27 in 1890) & Death cert (43 1906).
On the Marriage & death cert. PARENTS NOT LISTED  Time in colony NOT KNOWN

He was married in Wardell 1890 died Wardell 1906.

I have been on trove searching through Dwyer obituaries looking for relatives but as yet no connections. I am eliminating rather than finding.

Thank you Majm for that information on Richard & Bridget, I will have a good look at it but does not look like my Edmund.

Maybe he came on his own not long before getting married to Fanny.  Maybe he had another christian name? Maybe he didn't come from Cork, Ireland. The informants on the daughters birth was Fannys mother. On the death it was wife, Fanny.

Dwyre is spelt Dwyre on the death cert.

I have been searching off & on for the last 19 years. I keep coming back & trying again. My brickwalls are nearly all Irish.

thanks again to all, I will have a good look at all that you have sent me & decide what to do next. Anything else you may find or suggest, I would be most grateful.

Regards Lakelass

Harte Rule Masters Hoad Price Zucker Nixon Watson Way Dwyer Campbell

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 September 19 07:11 BST (UK) »
Can you please list all the information on the marriage certificate, 1890.

All the information about Edmund DWYER......all the information about Fanny CAMPBELL....
dates, occupations, names,  church, witnesses...........everything.....in a list.
Indicate if headings are left blank, or have "unknown" etc. 

Is it an image of a handwritten document...or typed transcription.

Offline Lakelass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 September 19 07:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Wivenhoe,

Marriage transcription - typed - Joy murrin
reg 02092    dom 3.6.1890  place Wardell, Richmond River
Religion Presbyterian    (on his death he is RC)

Groom Edmund Dwyer Bachelor  birth place not listed Blacksmith  age not listed
usual residence Wardell  parents not listed

Bride  Fanny Campbell  spinster  birthplace not listed  servant  age not listed 

Witnesses Charles Henley, Annie Campbell
Minister: Alexander Mcclinchie
Comments  Mrs Campbell, mother of the bride, gave consent to the marriage of Fanny.

A month later my great grandmother was born on the 4 Jul 1890. Fanny had turned 17 on 22 April, 1890.

Regards Lakelass
Harte Rule Masters Hoad Price Zucker Nixon Watson Way Dwyer Campbell

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 September 19 07:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Wivenhoe,

Marriage transcription - typed - Joy murrin
reg 02092    dom 3.6.1890  place Wardell, Richmond River
Religion Presbyterian    (on his death he is RC)

Groom Edmund Dwyer Bachelor  birth place not listed Blacksmith  age not listed

Bride  Fanny Campbell  spinster  birthplace not listed  servant  age not listed 

Witnesses Charles Henley, Annie Campbell
Minister: Alexander Mcclinchie
Comments  Mrs Campbell, mother of the bride, gave consent to the marriage of Fanny.

A month later my great grandmother was born on the 4 Jul 1890. Fanny had turned 17 on 22 April, 1890.

Regards Lakelass

I am on my e reader,  not near my puter, sorry.

1890,  regionsl NSW  marriage,  and as usual NSW BDM  records of marriage has elusive blanks.  There is a rather long thread with tips how to overcome ... basically NSW BDM only received summary info,  but the clergy did record on their own churches regusters the info given first hand... including parents names, dad's occupation,  age of bride and groom, birth places of bride and groom etc. 

A look through RChats NSW resources board should find the thread I did up re 'elusive banks' oon NSW bdm marriages 1856 - 1895 ...

Some brickwalls are smashable.

ADD  E READER  makes spelling mistakes and cannot do live  links.
JM

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 September 19 08:29 BST (UK) »

A look through RChats NSW resources board should find the thread I did up re 'elusive banks' oon NSW bdm marriages 1856 - 1895 ...

Some brickwalls are smashable.

Here is the link...

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=546609.0

Debra  :)