Author Topic: GRO index image lookup please  (Read 2211 times)

Offline Eking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
GRO index image lookup please
« on: Tuesday 17 September 19 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone is planning a trip to one of the various libraries around the country with a full set of GRO indexes? If so I'd be really grateful for a 2006 reference lookup and will PM details.
Needed as I believe there is an error on the index shown on Ancestry/Findmypast

Thanks in advance

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: GRO index image lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 18:01 BST (UK) »
The images at the library are the same as the images available online. 

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 19:33 BST (UK) »
The images at the library are the same as the images available online.

Sorry, that is not altogether true. For the later dates Ancestry and Findmypast only have transcripts and you cannot see the image of the fiche they have taken the transcripts from so yes an error could occur. Whereas the five centres that hold copies of the records allow you to look at the GRO's records (note not the original records) that the transcripts are made from.

I believe these are the bodies (more than 5) that hold those copy records

Library of Birmingham
Bridgend Local and Family History Centre
City of Westminster Archives Centre
Manchester Central Library
Newcastle City Library
Plymouth Central Library
The British Library
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 20:36 BST (UK) »
If you are getting the same result on both Ancestry and FindMyPast, (though they don't have the images for registrations that recent), then I'd guess that what you are seeing is what is in the GRO index.
I am not sure if the index, for such a recent event will be available in libraries (but am obviously wrong as davidft has posted to say as much)

The GRO index, like any index will have some errors and  I'd suggest that you contact the local registrar (some local registrars will reply to queries, others just say to buy the cert as a default) , succinctly give the reason for the query and ask if the register can be checked. NB just give the year and quarter of the event as local registrars do not use the same page and vol number the GRO do)

If its a birth and your query is in connection with a MMN, just ask if the registration is a match for the MMN you think it should be,

If its a marriage and the spouse's surname is your query, ask about that, but do bear in mind that people do re-marry and the registration may be in either the spouses birth surname OR their previous married name

If its a death and its the age that you are querying, again bear in mind that the information in the index depends on the knowledge of whoever is registering the death and may not agree with the actual facts.

Other than the above, your only option is to purchase the certificate and then, if needed , retrospectively complain and tell them you want a refund IF the info on the cert does not match with the registration details (NB just say you expect a refund, if you ASK you are giving them a choice to refuse - start from a stance that says  - you have incorrect info online which has caused me to spend x amount I didn't need to. Asking, however politely, gives them the option to say no)

Boo