Author Topic: DNA advice  (Read 868 times)

Offline Helena11a

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA advice
« on: Tuesday 17 September 19 17:03 BST (UK) »
I have an Ancestry DNA match which I will call DR.
After my father, uncle and cousin, he is my highest DNA match 208 cM over 12 segments 2-3 cousin.
My uncle matches 304cM over 14 segments and also 2-3 cousin
I contacted DR and the reply was we have origins in USA, Sweden and Germany.  My family is England and Scotland.
I contacted PH who also shares at match with myself and DR.  I discovered PH great grandmother Annie  and my great great grandfather Thomas were siblings so I narrowed down which 'tree' DR come in.  PH and DR share 133cM over 6 segments and 3-4 cousin.  PH daughter shares 51cM over 4 segments and PH half sister 94cM over 7 segments.
So despite searches by 3 of us we can't fathom how DR fits into our tree his father is German, mothers family Swedish.
As PH has a lower DNA match with DR does this mean it is likely to be from my great grandfather or great great grandfather?  We do know Annie and Thomas's parents separated and the father had a 'housekeeper' living with him in 2 census's but this was on the Isle of Wight!  I did wonder if they had a child.
Any help appreciated.

Helena
England

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DNA advice
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 18:13 BST (UK) »
Put the number of cM into the Shared cM tool to see potential relationships and their probabilities for each combination of matches, then start to plot out a tree and see which places you could fit someone who has the appropriate match size with you and PH.
https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Helena11a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 18:48 BST (UK) »
I have used that and spent the last few weeks compiling DR's tree which I now have back to his great great grandparents - none of them in England where mine and PH tree's are based. 

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 19:24 BST (UK) »
You could also try out the WATO (What Are The Odds) tool at DNA Painter to test out various hypotheses for placing the match.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

guest189040

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 20:52 BST (UK) »
The systems and dna painter can work but it can take some effort.

I had a 91cM and 32% probability of a 3C1R and found her and the 3C1R was indeed correct.

So far she is the only one out of 322 matches that are now in my tree.

Keep digging.

Offline Helena11a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 September 19 12:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your suggestions, I have just tried WATO and different hypothesis and my great great grandfather having an illegitimate child and DR being a descendent of this looks most likely. However I am still trying to work out the locations due to great great grandfather coming from the Isle of Wight and moving to London by the age of 17 and DR's family at this time being in Sweden, Ireland and Germany!

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 September 19 18:12 BST (UK) »
If you are struggling to get the relevant folks into the same place at the same time consider whether occupations might give some clues as to travel, e.g, mariners, military.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 September 19 19:32 BST (UK) »
Just to add, you have not mentioned a possible timeframe. That could be important as if you know a timeframe it could suggest possible situations that may explain things. For example if we were talking early 20th century then it could have be a bi-product of soldiers moving around during WW1 for example and "liaising" with people they otherwise not normally have met.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Helena11a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 September 19 20:05 BST (UK) »
My great great grandfather Thomas was born in 1863 on the Isle of Wight but by 1881 was in London living with his cousin.  His eldest son my great grandfather was born in Camberwell in 1886 three further children followed but he didn't marry the mother for some reason.  WATO point to Thomas being the possible ancestor and not my great grandfather.  Thomas was a laundryman - had his own laundry so no reason to go overseas