Author Topic: 51ST Regiment 1st Batallion of the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry of Foot  (Read 594 times)

Offline Dementor17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
51ST Regiment 1st Batallion of the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry of Foot
« on: Wednesday 18 September 19 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am looking for information of my 3xGreat Grandfather Henry Knight who served with them in India and Van Diemen's Land and was court-martialled in Bangalore in 1848 I will attach his transport record and another document I have any information you have will be greatly appreciated. Deborah Bullman                               https://stors.tas.gov.au/NI/1409868  This is a link to his record of offence and indent  thanks

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 51ST Regiment 1st Batallion of the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry of Foot
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 September 19 19:26 BST (UK) »
I think you have probably got all there is although his name would appear in the relevant years in the regiment's muster book.  These though are not digitised and anyway give no useful information.  The history book at the link below may be of interest.  He had served only 10 and a half years when he was shipped out of Bangalore in 1848 so would not have qualified for a pension, the papers of men who did not qualify for pension were routinely destroyed.
:
https://archive.org/details/arecordservices00willgoog/page/n5  He seem to have started in 1837 ish.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Dementor17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 51ST Regiment 1st Batallion of the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry of Foot
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 September 19 04:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks MaxD that book has given me some insight into the Regiment, so thank you very much, do you know where he signed up or what their experience was like in Bangalore or V.D.L. ? THANKS DEB

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 September 19 09:55 BST (UK) »
The regiment was in Ireland from October 1834 to May 1837 when it went to Bristol and then to VDL in 1837/1838.  As his service dates from about 1837 my suggestion would be either Ireland or somewhere in England during the period May 1837 to July 1838.  Do you know where he came from?

Their role in VDL was to guard convicts and the history finds nothing exciting to write about during that time! 

The move to India was in late 1846 to Poonamalee and then in Feb 1847 to Bangalore.  This link:
https://wiki.fibis.org/w/British_Army should start you off with reading about the British Army in India in the period.  There were no major excitements during his perhaps not quite two years there (which may explain his digression!).

Hope that helps
MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Dementor17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 September 19 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi MaxD it says his  native  place was Romford, he was a sawyer, his father's name was Hy P. Knight and he had a brother William and two sisters Harriet and Eliza , yes I did read that other material from the link you gave me thanks Deb

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 September 19 14:21 BST (UK) »
I should have seen his place of residence on the convict record.  There would no doubt have been a recruiting effort while the regiment was in England before VDL, there is a newspaper mention of a detachment of the regiment being at Harwich at the back end of 1837 so a recruiting party may well have been in the Romford area.  It was the practice for regiments to recruit for themselves.

Speculation but perhaps likely.
MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 September 19 15:54 BST (UK) »
The information about his family is tricky to read !

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dementor17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 September 19 04:40 BST (UK) »
Hi MaxD yes an expert from the University of Tasmania deciphered it for me as part of my course Convict Ancestors so I guess that is all I can hope to get, thank you very much Deb