Author Topic: Probus School Cornwall  (Read 1185 times)

Offline oldprobusian

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Probus School Cornwall
« on: Tuesday 24 September 19 10:44 BST (UK) »
Am researching the history of the boys boarding school at Probus, Cornwall, which was demolished in the late 60s (I think) to make way for  new houses.
Would appreciate a reply especially if a boarder in the mid 40s!

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Probus School Cornwall
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 September 19 11:24 BST (UK) »
From the West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser 30 November 1939, and you can see it on this map https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/189314/47774/12/101040

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 September 19 11:47 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Windygale

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 23:02 BST (UK) »
My dad attended Probus School around 1927 to 1932 and I have a presentation book as Victor Ludorum at sport for 1932..   His grandfather was butler at Helegan House in the late 1800s..  I think my dad's dad also went to Probus School in the late 1800s.

My dad was Ian Howard Gale.

I would like to know all about the school and its history.  I have photos of the dorm. and the refer.  from his time there, and a photo of Probus Village football team for 1932 with my dad in it.        Richard Gale.

Offline jackym

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 July 21 10:18 BST (UK) »
This information may be too late for most of the people who were asking questions about Probus Boys School which was founded in 1852 and closed in 1960. My uncle and godfather William (Bill) James was a pupil at the school until 1916. He was involved in an auction held by the Probus branch of the Old Cornwall Society in 1986 of memorabilia from the school which had been preserved by past pupls. My uncle's contribution was the original Gothic front door and some pieces of stone which surrounded the laboratory door. The door was subsequently donated to the Probus School collection at the Royal Cornwall Museum in Truro.
I have a cutting  from the Western Morning News "Diary"(date unknown) which refers to a display at the museum of Probus School memorabilia,including the whacking bat used by Headmaster Mr. Handsomebody an Oxford graduate with a double first in classics and mathematics. He was also quite a character. He had a glass eye which dropped out periodically and had to be retrieved by his pupils. Ted Curtis apparently once found it in the turn-up of his trousers. Mr. H. wore a monocle and was reputed to be the last cricketer to bowl under-arm for his  Oxford college. When he departed from Probus in 1932 a memorial window was erected in his honoour at the parish church.jackym