Author Topic: Ancestry DNA  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Peter Stines

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry DNA
« on: Tuesday 24 September 19 15:38 BST (UK) »
I know little about this. How accurate is it ? It sounds expensive
Campbell, Staines, Smith, Wolfean, Wilson, Donley, Dearnally, Blair, Comstock, Corman, Stines, Fiesel, Tschiedel, Becker, Gute, Merritt, Lawrence, Stevenson, McSparran, McCullum, Walker, Hamilton, Boulmay, Clegg,Atell, Patterson, Zogott, Getts, Harrison,

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 September 19 15:42 BST (UK) »
It is good value for money. Matching is accurate. Ethnicity estimates are, as the name states, just an estimate. These will continue to be improved as better reference populations are added. If you buy when one of the discounts is being offered you can often get 25% off the normal price.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Peter Stines

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 September 19 15:49 BST (UK) »
I see you have Wilson and Smith in your name interests. Where from ?
Campbell, Staines, Smith, Wolfean, Wilson, Donley, Dearnally, Blair, Comstock, Corman, Stines, Fiesel, Tschiedel, Becker, Gute, Merritt, Lawrence, Stevenson, McSparran, McCullum, Walker, Hamilton, Boulmay, Clegg,Atell, Patterson, Zogott, Getts, Harrison,

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 September 19 16:36 BST (UK) »
My Wilsons were in Shilbottle, Northumberland in the late 1600s/early 1700s. My direct line Smiths were on Tyneside, both Northumberland and Durham in the 1700s. I also have several collateral Smith lines in Northumberland.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 September 19 17:25 BST (UK) »

It depends what you mean by accurate and expensive.

You have not said what you want to get out of it so no one can really tell you if it is going to be accurate.

Why not post what you want to get out of it and then people will tell you if that is possible, or indeed if another testing firm might be better for you as they do not all do the same thing and give results of varying usefulness.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline face dna test

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 October 19 09:03 BST (UK) »
Ancestry DNA helps you getting information about your past history. Many people go for ancestry DNA testing as they are more keen to know about their originated race and ethnicity. Accuracy of ancestry DNA testing is considered more than 99% and also not much expensive, only around $99.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 October 19 12:38 BST (UK) »
Ancestry DNA helps you getting information about your past history. Many people go for ancestry DNA testing as they are more keen to know about their originated race and ethnicity. Accuracy of ancestry DNA testing is considered more than 99% and also not much expensive, only around $99.

Bit in bold.

Sorry to quibble about this but what do you mean by accuracy in this instance and by whom is it considered to be 99% correct?
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline face dna test

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 October 19 05:39 BST (UK) »

Bit in bold.

Sorry to quibble about this but what do you mean by accuracy in this instance and by whom is it considered to be 99% correct?
You can check Ancestry.com data. It is given there.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 October 19 08:38 BST (UK) »
facednatest, They have a lot of data. Can you be more specific about where you read it?