Author Topic: Burkle Family in Aberdare  (Read 647 times)

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Burkle Family in Aberdare
« on: Tuesday 24 September 19 19:41 BST (UK) »
Part of the family business was in pawnbroking. Wales Traders Directory of 1912 shows that the business was still active but in () was Execrs.of.
Edward Burkle died on 16 December 1900 but in 1911 only a son Percy seems to around and had moved from Aberdare and was no longer concerned with pawnbroking. His mother Martha Jane was alive in 1900 as per the probate but has not been found in 1911.
I wonder if pawnbroking is the interest of a reader who might be able to add to this saga. Thanks for any help. Toby.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burkle Family in Aberdare
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 September 19 23:08 BST (UK) »
Haven't found Martha, but Percy was trying to sell the business in 1902, according to newspaper ads. Whether he succeeded I'm not sure

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 11:55 BST (UK) »
I suspect Martha's death is mis-recorded or mis-transcribed as Martha Jane Burke,1910,Bristol registration district aged 73(which ties in with her age as given in censuses) and :-
There is a Mary Monica Burkle,born 1810,Bristol registration district.Percy appears to have such a daughter in the last census.

Regards
Roger

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 19:36 BST (UK) »
I knew about Mary Burkle's birth in Bristol in 1910 so your surmise that that could be the death of Martha Jane in 1910 age 73 seems very plausible. Unfortunately I have not found a Bristol directory for 1910 or close to that. Percy Burkle was back in  Wales for the 1911 Census. However this remains the best bet for now. Thanks. T