Author Topic: service records  (Read 494 times)

Offline waswigg

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
service records
« on: Sunday 29 September 19 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi I am looking for the service records of Private 7551 Enoch Lissimore Machine Gun Corps and also   Private 24395 Worcestershire Regiment
He was wounded on the  24th September 1917 whilst with the Worcestershire Regiment. He was born in Dudley,Staffordshire Eng  1882 He died in 1921
I am not sure if he didn't die because of war wounds he would still be a young man 39
I would be grateful for the help that anyone can give me
waswigg

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: service records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 September 19 15:44 BST (UK) »
He had previous service in the Shropshire regiment 1900-1902 for which papers have survived and are viewable on FindMyPast https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO97%2F5348%2F097%2F001&parentid=GBM%2FWO97%2F5348%2F935389

Not much there about his WW1 service though there is a note about a refund in July 1918 of half the money that he'd paid in 1902 (£18) to buy his discharge. This has the dates of his WW1 service up to that point.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 September 19 15:49 BST (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 September 19 16:09 BST (UK) »
The dates that ShaunJ notes are on his Shropshire record don't quite add up with being wounded when he was with the Worcesters in Sep 1917.

The dates give reenlistment to the Worcestershire Regiment on 18 Aug 1915 and subsequent transfer to the MGC on 1 Jan 1916.  His medal roll entry bears this sequence out.  He was discharged on 14 Dec 1918 as surplus to military requirements (no disability) - this may be in recognition of his former service.  He was an early transfer to the MGC which was formed as such only in Oct 1915 so may very well have been a machine gunner in the Worcesters.

Unfortunately none of the scant records give his Worcesters battalion or his MGC company/battalion.

MaxD

PS Delighted to see confirmation of our input over on another forum!
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia