Author Topic: McMartin Family  (Read 2633 times)

Offline Jdkrags

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McMartin Family
« on: Monday 30 September 19 03:23 BST (UK) »
Hello, I would love some help tracing back my branch of the McMartin family. Donald and Isabella McMartin (McLeod) are the branch I descend from. Donald (1827, Ontario-1916, North Dakota) and Isabella (1824, Nova Scotia-1913, North Dakota) are correct for sure. I am confident on their parents (Duncan & Agnes (Nancy) Mcartin (Ferguson), and (George and Catherine McLeod (Stewart), but I’m not 100% sure. I’ve already traced Duncan McMartin (1791, Perthshire-1879, Ontario) into Scotland using Scotland’s People but I’ve not been able to get farther then that. I’d also like to confirm Donald and Isabella’s parents. Thanks for the help, and I’ll  give more info if need be.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: McMartin Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 September 19 06:46 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  ;)

Can you list the children of Donald & Isabella in order as this can often be a clue to parentage?

Have you found any passenger lists or any baptisms i.e. what lead you to the suspected parents?

Are there any clues as to which area(s) in Perthshire?

This may be worth a look at: http://www.borenich.co.uk/Marriages.html

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Jdkrags

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 September 19 13:16 BST (UK) »
Yes. Here’s the photos of the McMartin family biography from the Pembina County Pioneer Daughters Collection Index. I’ll have to post them separate. As far as I am concerned the McMartins are from Killin, Perthshire.

Offline Jdkrags

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 September 19 13:17 BST (UK) »
#1 sorry I posted these two twice. They are the same.

Offline Jdkrags

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 September 19 13:20 BST (UK) »

Offline Jdkrags

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 September 19 13:21 BST (UK) »

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 September 19 15:08 BST (UK) »
Is this correct (from a quick look at an online tree, possibly yours & easier to follow)?

Children of Donald & Isabella;

Duncan c1851
George c1853
Christina c1857
Anne c1858
Peter c1861
Donald c1865
Mary Belle c1870

+ 2 who dii

Often when there's been a dii, the next child is named the same although not always.

From the above, Donald's parents could be Duncan & Anne, Isabella's could be George & Christina although the naming pattern wasn't always used?

I haven't time to read through your images in full but can you please answer the questions in my 1st post so people know what you have/don't have i.e. what to look for in order to help you.

The main question being why you think Killin & if you know when they arrived in Canada?

I found this which may be of interest as it shows area names: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ofs/

One in particular 21 Apr 1824;

"Representation and petition of Donald McMartin, Killin, tenant, Easter Moiarlanich, Glenlochay, to be continued in his farm another year though he cannot pay all the rent at once"

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Jdkrags

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 September 19 15:47 BST (UK) »
Those parents of Donald and Isabella are correct, although my tree has the names spelled a bit different. I had found Duncan’s birth record in Killin on 4 Jul 1791. His parents are listed as Donald and Mary McMartin. That’s why I have been led to believe they are from Killin. The original picture is too large to post. I don’t know when they came to Canada and to clarify, Donald and Isabella are born in Canada. Donald’s parents are from Scotland and Isabella’s were born in Canada but were Scottish in heritage.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 September 19 17:49 BST (UK) »
I see that the original index on SP doesn't say what the surname of Duncan's mother was, just naming her as Mary.

I also note that two other children were baptised in Killin to Donald McMartin and Margaret née McMartin, Duncan, 13 November 1790; Patrick, 13 June 1794. Is it possible, I wonder, that Duncan baptised in 1790 and Duncan baptised in 1791 are actually two records of the same person, the second listing getting his mother's name wrong? It's not unusual for the name Margt (abbreviation for Margaret) to be confused with Mary.

Incidentally, it is customary in Scottish documents to refer to a married woman by her maiden surname, or as 'xxx yyy or zzz' where xxx is her given name, yyy her maiden name and zzz the surname of her husband. She is never referred to as 'xxx yyy zzz', which is open to confusion because in Scotland yyy would normally be interpreted as a middle name.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.