Author Topic: Catholic burials in London area  (Read 663 times)

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catholic burials in London area
« on: Monday 30 September 19 13:48 BST (UK) »
Just a general query really. Were catholic burials always recorded? Were catholics who died in the workhouse buried in a catholic cemetery with catholic rites even if they were paupers?
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic burials in London area
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 September 19 19:12 BST (UK) »
My local RC paupers ended up in the local general cemetery. (1850 and onwards)
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 16:25 BST (UK) »
My local RC paupers ended up in the local general cemetery. (1850 and onwards)
Catholics were buried in C of E burial grounds too, if there was no municipal cemetery.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 February 21 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Just a general query really. Were catholic burials always recorded? Were catholics who died in the workhouse buried in a catholic cemetery with catholic rites even if they were paupers?
I am now wondering the same myself, despite replying that they were buried in CofE graveyards ::). I do have a record of a Catholic ancestor being buried in a CofE churchyard HOWEVER, he was a pauper from the workhouse, and I am not sure they would have known what his religious denomination was. I do wonder for people that were known Catholics if most CofE cemeteries would accept them. But before you started to get specific Catholic cemeteries in the mid 19th century, I suspect many Anglican churches would not allow Catholic burials, but some places did, such as Bunhill Fields in London, but the fees would exclude the poor. I know some Catholics were buried in particular in St. Pancras burial ground, particularly French refugees, but I suspect some fees were involved there too.
  The question is, what happened to all the poor Irish who started to come in large numbers to London from the mid 18th century onward - were they buried in some kind of adhoc, multiple occupancy graves within certain graveyards or cemeteries, paid for by the local parishes, or funded by Catholic donors? Perhaps the burials were not even recorded anywhere, but, would that even be legal?

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 February 21 15:28 GMT (UK) »
OK, I have remembered a ground that I have found other poor Catholic ancestors in - Spa Fields burial ground in Clerkenwell, which was opened in 1779 & closed in 1849

https://www.reffell.org.uk/this-is-the-reffell-family-history-website/cemeteries/spa-fields-burial-ground-clerkenwell-london/

There was also a burial ground associated with St. Mary, Moorfields Catholic Church, but I am not sure where that was.