Author Topic: Dating initials on watch  (Read 1117 times)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dating initials on watch
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 16:59 BST (UK) »
I have taken a look through some documents from 1774.

It's not hard to find handwriting wherein the I and J are identical - such as the attached from a PR in Cornwall.  However, note that this is a J form serving as an I.

In print - attached is the Westminster Poll Book of that year - the letters are distinct and of broadly modern form.

Given that the watch engraving is such an uncompromising block style, I would say it's unlikely to be intended as a J, unless it's using the Latin form of the name (as Viktoria has suggested).

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Richard

Think it is a letter I

Mark?
There is an asterisk between the letters and I'm wondering if it is a Mark, rather than a person's initials?

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 21:22 BST (UK) »
In catalogues Watchmaker's Marks are two or three letters.

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 October 19 11:55 BST (UK) »
The lettering is in keeping with the date of the watch and, at that time, I was used as a J so could well be John. I've come across it many times in genealogical research.
AJ

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 October 19 09:46 BST (UK) »
These initials are engraved onto the back of a watch made in London by Benjamin Maud in 1774. I think it probably belonged to John Brown, a successful leather hose pipe maker who died in 1824 aged about 70.

Thanks for all your replies.
These are definitely the owner's initials (see original post for date/maker of the watch) and I am confident that they are John Brown's. I have seen I used for J all over the place at that time (builders' initials over doors; spelling of 'majesty' as 'maiestie' and 'John' as 'Iohn' - not just 'Iohannes').
My concern was whether they belonged to the John Brown who died in 1824 or his grandson who died in the 1870s, and had hoped that the style of the letters would help. I am increasingly sure that they must have belonged to the older John who may have been given the watch on his 21st birthday (the dates are about right) or have bought it when he inherited some money in 1781. I hope that's not just wishful thinking!
Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk