Author Topic: Who is the Dutch artist?  (Read 2618 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who is the Dutch artist?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 02 October 19 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie and Viktoria and Mike and Keith and Kay!

The painting is an original watercolour and it was bought about 50 years ago from a fine art restorer who restored old oil paintings for a living.   My family knew him and we used to be fascinated by his stories of how he would remove the varnish from old paintings which then leaves the original painting dry and flaking; and so his restoration work involved working on a canvas of loose paint flakes.  Sounds terrifying!

Anyway he had the painting I now have and my father took a liking to it and bought it.  I don't think he paid a lot of money for it; the restorer told him at the time that the painter's work was becoming collectable.  And that's all I know other than that he told my father it was Dutch school.  The painting is on what looks like thick paper the back of which is quite brown though not sure if that's age or if it started out like that.

I have puzzled about that signature.  I will have to find my magnifying glass and see if I can deduce any more from it.  I haven't damaged the picture by taking it out of the frame - although my heart was in my mouth whilst doing it!

Regards and thanks so much to you all for your interest

GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 02 October 19 09:23 BST (UK) »
I have to out now but wonder whether this list may be any use  :-\ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dutch_painters

Kay

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 02 October 19 09:47 BST (UK) »
In trying to eliminate the "background signature" I produced the false image below.Could the name be
"Jühl"? or "Eühl"?

Regards
Roger

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 October 19 12:15 BST (UK) »
I thought it look like the artist had originally used the initials CL...then over-written by a signature. I have tried a google image match on both the painting and the signature and come up empty  ::)
It reminds me of work by Van Gogh, not in painting style but in colour and composition....maybe because he painted haystacks  ::)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 02 October 19 16:33 BST (UK) »
Ah Carol, if only it turned out to be an early Van Gough....   ;D

Thanks so much for that image, Roger - will go off googling to follow up your suggestions.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 03 October 19 03:38 BST (UK) »
Following up on Victoria’s suggestion re J(oh)an(n) Suhl. If you google (Images) for “Jan Suhl painter” you can bring up images of the paintings which Victoria found had been sold (so no longer showing on the auction website).

I’ve pasted a snip of one of those paintings, highlighting the signature and superimposing Greensleeves’s slip for comparison. While the S and slope are different, otherwise they are suspiciously familiar. To me (but I'm not an artist) the painting style is not that close, although the use of colours and composition are perhaps relatable.

I think it’s possible it could the same artist, perhaps at a different time period, and/or perhaps the “restoration” has altered the look of it: as Greensleeves says, “and so his restoration work involved working on a canvas of loose paint flakes”.

Hope this helps.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 03 October 19 07:53 BST (UK) »
Gosh Peter and Viktoria  - thanks so much; the last piece of the signature certainly looks incredibly similar.  How exciting - I've googled Jan Suhl and I agree that the styles of the paintings don't look particularly similar to the one I have.  But I paint and I use different styles for different subjects so who knows?  I have no idea where to go from here since all the fine art sites I've tried only seem interested in divesting me of large sums of money in return for an appraisal.  Since they are charging something like £30 a day for the privilege of 'membership' I reckon I could quickly be paying out more than the piece is worth  ;D   Maybe I'll see about sidling into one of the 'fine art' dealers in my area to see if they'd be interested in looking at the piece without charging a small fortune.

Regards
GS  :)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 03 October 19 08:37 BST (UK) »
You need something like "Antiques Roadshow" ;D ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 03 October 19 08:59 BST (UK) »
Gosh Peter and Viktoria  - thanks so much; the last piece of the signature certainly looks incredibly similar.  How exciting - I've googled Jan Suhl and I agree that the styles of the paintings don't look particularly similar to the one I have.  But I paint and I use different styles for different subjects so who knows?  I have no idea where to go from here since all the fine art sites I've tried only seem interested in divesting me of large sums of money in return for an appraisal.  Since they are charging something like £30 a day for the privilege of 'membership' I reckon I could quickly be paying out more than the piece is worth  ;D   Maybe I'll see about sidling into one of the 'fine art' dealers in my area to see if they'd be interested in looking at the piece without charging a small fortune.

Regards
GS  :)

Such an interesting thread!
Re valuation -
I have an interesting item & took it to a local auction house (in Canterbury) which offers free valuations on Friday mornings. What they told me piqued my interest so I looked at Sothebys online & they say they do free valuations too if you send a photo & details of the item. I haven't got round to it yet but you could try it.

Good luck

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area