Author Topic: Help with a placename in a marriage record of 1726 please  (Read 242 times)

Offline Maggie Knockater

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with a placename in a marriage record of 1726 please
« on: Friday 04 October 19 17:03 BST (UK) »
I'm struggling to make a definite interpretation of a 1726 marriage record (attached) from the parish of Cruden in Aberdeenshire.
The bride seems to be Mrs Elizabeth Irvin, daughter to the Laird of Kincauhi in Old Aberdeen. There is an estate of Kincausie in Maryculter just outside Aberdeen whose lairds were called Irvin in all its variations, but I can find no mention of such a place name in Old Aberdeen itself. The letter after the u could be an s but other examples of s in the document look quite different. The record is somewhat confused by shadows from the reverse of the sheet.
Any ideas?

Thank you

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a placename in a marriage record of 1726 please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 October 19 17:36 BST (UK) »
I think it is Kincausie, with the s being an older-fashioned long-s.

I take your point about the other visible examples of s (in mid-word positions) being different, but these variations happen in old documents.

I would read Laird of Kincausie as a title and Old Aberdeen as a place.  The Laird may not have been resident on the Kincausie estate.

Offline Maggie Knockater

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a placename in a marriage record of 1726 please
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 October 19 18:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you Horselydown.
It certainly does look as if Kincausie is the best fit. I read it as Kincausie being in Old Aberdeen which I knew wasn't the case and was trying to find another Kincsomething in Old Aberdeen.
Maggie