Author Topic: WDYTYA has a lot to answer for  (Read 4258 times)

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
WDYTYA has a lot to answer for
« on: Monday 07 October 19 08:44 BST (UK) »
My sister-in-law lives in Australia and she knows I have an Ancestry subscription. I had an email from her this week and in it she said '.....my friend would like to trace her family tree. Her grandfather was born in Stoke on Trent in 1895. Could you pop his name into Ancestry and get his family tree!
She asked this in all innocence, but I think when people watch these family history programs they do think it's as simple as typing in a name.  I love WDYTYA  but maybe a little more emphasis should be made of the work involved
By the way, his name was Smith  ;D

Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA has a lot to answer for
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 October 19 09:00 BST (UK) »
That's hilarious  ;D If only it was that simple!
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 October 19 09:20 BST (UK) »
One of my all time favourite new threads on Rootschat:
Subject: Grandfather
Body text: Who were his parents?

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 October 19 10:11 BST (UK) »
One of my all time favourite new threads on Rootschat:
Subject: Grandfather
Body text: Who were his parents?

Priceless!!
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 October 19 10:12 BST (UK) »
I remember way back watching WDYTYA with my O/H.

At the end of the programme he said to me " How come they do a family tree in an hour and you have spent years and £££'s on yours and it's still not finished?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yes, it does have a lot to answer for.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 October 19 10:16 BST (UK) »
I watch it occasionally and I get annoyed with all the so-called experts who can provide background to the circumstances and seem to have access to records not available to the general public.
My rant for the day!
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 October 19 10:28 BST (UK) »
And yet.....
I did once put the name of someone's grandmother, (just an average grandma,) into google, and her family tree came up....

Shame it wasn't my grandma.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 October 19 12:02 BST (UK) »
I remember way back watching WDYTYA with my O/H.

At the end of the programme he said to me " How come they do a family tree in an hour and you have spent years and £££'s on yours and it's still not finished?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yes, it does have a lot to answer for.

Dorrie

I used to get that all the time from a certain relative. So much so that, nowadays, I simply don't bring up the subject and chat about what she's been doing, which, conversely, I'm supposed to be rivetted by.

Fair do's to WDYTYA - it was that programme which started me off on family history. At the risk of banging a familiar drum, when WDYTYA first started (goodness knows how many years ago that was) each episode was followed, on the red button, by a short (about 10-15 minutes if memory serves) introduction of 'how to's' introduced by Adrian Chiles and with that Nick Barrett bloke who seems to have moved on to bigger things. These 'tutorials' (for want of a better word - I don't remember them as stuffy or too simplistic) were very helpful to me as a beginner. I wonder why the BBC don't repeat them or make them available via iplayer.

Doesn't anyone else remember these? I sometimes think I've imagined them!! They certainly showed any would-be researcher that it wasn't a simple task to undertake, but by no means impossible.

Repeating them could go some way to countering Ancestry's impressions that all you have to do is what ChrissieL describes. It might also mean that some of those people who have done DNA tests but haven't bothered with any tree or much else at all might actually realise that to get anything out of the money they spent on the test, they might just have to make a bit of an effort themselves!

Jackie, that was my rant of the day!
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 October 19 12:12 BST (UK) »
The BBC has produced a 192 page book "Who Do You Think You Are? The Genealogy Handbook" by
Dan Waddell "essential for anyone who would like to discover their family’s history."

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk