Author Topic: Waugh/Brown; Shankill c. 1830s  (Read 5357 times)

Offline bmanson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Waugh/Brown; Shankill c. 1830s
« on: Thursday 18 August 05 23:55 BST (UK) »
I have the usual problem of location with ancestors in Ireland at about at least the 1830s.  My gg grandfather William Waugh (b.c. 1837, Ireland) and his wife Mary Brown (b.1840, Ireland) married in Bonhill, Dunbartonshire in 1860.  From the marriage certificate, we have established that William was the son of Joseph and Catherine (Hanlon), and that Mary was the daughter of Charles and Isabella (Gallacher) Brown. None were shown as deceased on the marriage certificate.
About 8 years ago, I tried the Griffiths Valuation to find any Joseph Waugh and Charles Brown in proximaty.  We came up with -
Waugh, Joseph: Co. Antrim, Shankhill, St George's Ward / Townparks / Chichester Street
Brown, Charles: Co. Antrim, Shankhill, Smithfield/ Townparks / Ashmore Street

We did also come across this death notice -
17 April 1867 (#407) at Curraiis Kow, Bally---canett:  Joseph Waugh/male/married/58 years/tailor/bronchitis for two years/informant: Hugh Waugh present at death.  “I, James Murray, Registrar of Births and Deaths in the District of Bally---canett in the Union of Belfast in the County of Down do hereby certify that this a true copy of the Registrar’s Book of Deaths within the said District, from the Entry of the Death of Sarah McFadden No. 399 to the Entry of the Death of  - McAlister no. 408.   Witness my hand, this day 28th day of July 1867.”

Of course, little of the above could indicate the 'right' Joseph.  However, I am hoping that during the last 8 years there have been some developments.  Can anyone advise where to go from here?
Brian
Edmonton, Alberta
MANSON.SURRY.LOE.WAUGH.McKAY.CHUBB.GLASSOP.MACKINTOSH.PEWTER.VINCENT.HARRISSON.WRIGHT

Offline Hanan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Waugh/Brown; Shankill c. 1830s
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 February 08 15:19 GMT (UK) »
I am having the same trouble tracing my gg-grandfather William Waugh (b 1837, Ireland).  He married Catherine Currie 1863, Campbeltown.  William's Parents were, William Waugh (b 1810, Ireland, son of William & Helen McWhinne?) & Mary Thomson (b 1810, Ireland, daughter of John & Mary Ferguson).

I too used Griffiths Valuation and found the Waughs and Thomson in Shankhill.  I've ben trying to trace if they are my Waugh's.  Have you managed to confirm if thay are yours?
CURRIE & KERR Scotland, Bute, Isle of Arran
ROSS or MUNRO Scotland, Inverness
SUTHERLAND & BUDGE, HAMILTON or GORDON Caithness, Halkirk Area 1700 & 1800's; Lanark 1900’s
MCGRATH or MCGRAW, MCINTYRE, MCWHINNEY, FERGUSON, CAMPBELL, FLANAGAN, WAUGH & THOMSON Ireland
MCGRATH or MCGRAW Wigtown early 1800’s; USA, Taft (CA), Jarbridge (NV) early 1900's
WYLLIE & HIGGINS Scotland, Lanarkshire & Ayrshire

Offline bmanson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 May 08 16:25 BST (UK) »
Sorry, no new information to add to what I have. I have not progressed at all
Brian.
MANSON.SURRY.LOE.WAUGH.McKAY.CHUBB.GLASSOP.MACKINTOSH.PEWTER.VINCENT.HARRISSON.WRIGHT

Offline wheatfield

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 November 08 10:38 GMT (UK) »
While researching my family I've found a Sarah Waugh who married Henry Bell at St Patrick's church, Ballymacarrett in East Belfast in April 1879.  Her father is named as Joseph Waugh, tailor, deceased.  The witnesses are John Waugh and Ann Jane Waugh.  Any help?
Northern Ireland
BELFAST - BELL, McLEA, TURNER
PORTAFERRY - McLEA, MASON
LURGAN - TURNER, SLOAN
PORTADOWN & DUNGANNON - HENRY, CARBERRY
COLERAINE - STEWART, FRIZZEL

Offline bmanson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 November 08 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I have nothing to confirm or deny any relationship to Sarah.  My "wall" is still a large one.

Brian

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 November 08 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried the recent wills at www.PRONI.gov.uk, there seems several Williams, Hughs Sarah etc
Have you tried from Belfast Clifton Cemetery Registry
from the Glenravel website
www.glenravel.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=81 eg
November 30th 1853
Waugh (still born)
Child of Joseph Waugh
Camden Terrace
Born in Belfast
Platform 8 Grave Number 35 & 36
have you searched Mary Lennon's Belfast Street directorties website  www.lennonwylie.co.uk/index.
Good luck for starters
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 November 08 10:09 GMT (UK) »
hi brian,
the tithe applotments of county derry have a charles brown(1827,1829,1833) and a joseph waugh(1829) and joseph wagh(1825).
its just that i noticed charles' wife was a gallagher,very common in derry,that made me think that you should look in derry. are the 2 parents names in griffiths the only reason you think they came from belfast? just a thought :)

tony

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 November 08 10:31 GMT (UK) »
You must use www.lennonwylie.co.uk/  use her main search engine
enter Joseph Waugh and just the first page of results makes great information , there is even a Londonderry entry
Campbells Row  off Townends Street
Cuddys Row off new lodge road
Tullycarnett has some entries
Ballymacarrett +Waugh produces entries finally there is/was a Waugh Court North Street see burials at Clifton St Cemetery in previous mail
Good luck onwards Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline GaryOB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Brian

Check out the "Belfast Timelines" at www.glenravel.com you will find many Waughs in these extracts from local newspapers.

"Dec 1843 Thomas Waugh, aged 19, in the employment of Messers J Boyd and Company, flaxspinning Mill, cashed a cheque for £300 an the Bank of Ireland and later withdrew £500 from the Belfast Bank.  He then left Belfast on the Fleetwood boat."

"May 1848 A fire broke out in North Queen Street at the bakehouse of Mr Waugh adjoining the Constabulary Barracks....."

"Nov 1853 The range of houses in Victoria Street, known as Victoria Buildings only a few years erected, was consumed by fire.  One of the houses, owned by Mr Joseph Waugh Grocer, was completely gutted."

There are others over the years.

Hope this helps

Gary
O'Brien (Coleraine/Canada/Donaghadee)
Milliken (Belfast and others)