Author Topic: Magnus Gorrie  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Signalmen1942

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Magnus Gorrie
« on: Thursday 10 October 19 00:58 BST (UK) »
Looking for Magnus Gorrie b.1711, in Stromness, Orkney Islands, Scotland Does anyone have info on his family father/mother? He was married to Elspet Flett. I am hoping to see how far back the Magnus name is used in our family. Thank you in advance.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: Magnus Gorrie
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 October 19 20:47 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

Can you please tell us where you got the information on his birth as nothing coming up for him on Scotlandspeople index nor a marriage to Elspet Flett.

Any information you can give will help.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Signalmen1942

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 October 19 00:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I found this info on Magnus Gorrie, born 1709 or 1711...on Wikitree and My Family Search sites. Elspet Flett is mentioned as his wife. Also I believe I have a another source ...I'll look about for it. Am hoping to discover his father and mother. Kind Regards.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 October 19 03:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I found this info on Magnus Gorrie, born 1709 or 1711...on Wikitree and My Family Search sites. Elspet Flett is mentioned as his wife. Also I believe I have a another source

scotlandspeople (may be worth a look at the baptism as witnesses can often be a help)?

GORIE JOHN 06/06/1737
MAGNUS GORIE/ELSPETH FLETT
030/10 119 Stromness

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VQQP-LT5

Can you please give names/dates of their children in order as the naming pattern may help with parents?

Which child of Magnus & Elspet do you descend from, can only find 1?

There were 2 Magnus' having children around the same time, could this have been a 2nd marriage
although it seems a tight squeeze after the birth of John but if he was a widower then...or was John illegitimate...I can't find a marriage, not to say they didn't but certainly worth checking?

GORIE MAGNUS   KATHERINE MOAR 22/11/1737
030/30 11 Stromness

GORIE ALEXANDER 20/01/1740
MAGNUS GORIE/KATHERINE MOAR
030/10 127 Stromness

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 October 19 03:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I found this info on Magnus Gorrie, born 1709 or 1711...on Wikitree and My Family Search sites. Elspet Flett is mentioned as his wife. Also I believe I have a another source ...I'll look about for it.

Is it possible this is where you saw mention of 'his wife'?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VQQP-CM1?from=lynx1UIV8&treeref=KZKX-DXD

Which appears to be son John b 1737

GORIE KATHREN 11/07/1759
JOHN GORIE/ELSPED BRESS
030/10 181 Stromness

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 October 19 09:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I found this info on Magnus Gorrie, born 1709 or 1711...on Wikitree and My Family Search sites.
If neither cites a primary source, don't trust them. Never rely 100% on anything you find online unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary.

If I were you I would look at those baptism records on Scotland's People and see if they shed any more light.

See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Signalmen1942

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 October 19 21:52 BST (UK) »
Yes I know thank you. I research all the clues I can of course. I certainly welcome any additional thoughts you may have. I have already searched the baptisms and marriages where I could. Kind Regards

Offline Signalmen1942

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 October 19 21:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I found this info on Magnus Gorrie, born 1709 or 1711...on Wikitree and My Family Search sites. Elspet Flett is mentioned as his wife. Also I believe I have a another source ...I'll look about for it.
Yes this is Magnus's son John his wife was Elspet Bress/Brass. Magnus born abt.1709 may have been married to Elspet Flett...John is only son, I have seen another tree with a Alexander listed as son as well.

Is it possible this is where you saw mention of 'his wife'?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VQQP-CM1?from=lynx1UIV8&treeref=KZKX-DXD

Which appears to be son John b 1737

GORIE KATHREN 11/07/1759
JOHN GORIE/ELSPED BRESS
030/10 181 Stromness

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 October 19 22:28 BST (UK) »
Yes this is Magnus's son John his wife was Elspet Bress/Brass. Magnus born abt.1709 may have been married to Elspet Flett...John is only son, I have seen another tree with a Alexander listed as son as well.

The baptism of John is the way to find out whether Magnus was married to Elspet.

I posted details of a possible son named Alexander;

GORIE ALEXANDER 20/01/1740
MAGNUS GORIE/KATHERINE MOAR
030/10 127 Stromness

Likewise, a look at the originals for further info. not available on transcriptions.

Annie