Author Topic: RootsTech London  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Gartag

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RootsTech London
« on: Friday 11 October 19 08:38 BST (UK) »
Good day all,

I have been searching for a board topic on the upcoming event in London.  If there is one, could someone point me in the right direction?

In the meantime, I've started this one.  I have never been to any family history/genealogy events before and now that I'm officially retired (with pension) I can manage it.  It's a 3 day event but I can only cope with one of them and I have chosen the first, Thursday 24th.

If anyone has been to any of the RootsTech seminars before and would like to give a few tips, that would be wonderful.  If you're going and it's your first time too, perhaps you'd like to ask some questions and we can learn together before the event.  Likewise perhaps we could keep an eye out and give a little moral support on the day.

Garth
Main Stream:- Gregory, Bridgwater, Dazely.
Tributaries:- Broomhead, Warner, Eyre.
Areas: UK- Derbyshire 1750-1900, Manchester 1900- now,
        India- Jubblepore, Kirkee, Lucknow. (Bridgwater/Dazely 1890-1925)

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Re: RootsTech London
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 October 19 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Garth :)

According to another forum I sometimes visit, this will be the first RootsTech event to be held in London.  You'll be a pioneer ;D

I'm in Australia, so can't be there, but there are sure to be other RootsChatters in attendance.  Where exactly is it being held?

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 October 19 10:48 BST (UK) »
Apparently it is being held at Excel in London 24 -26 October. 
https://www.rootstech.org/

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 October 19 11:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie, I'd just seen that and have now found where Excel is located.  Would have been very handy from my old Suffolk address with free rail travel ::) ;D

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 October 19 11:05 BST (UK) »
I thought it was only London Boroughs that got free rail travel within London  ;D   I shall be giving it a miss.

Seems Donny Osmond is going  ::) .

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 October 19 11:20 BST (UK) »
I had a special Suffolk rail pass that not many people know about :-X
(My husband worked for a BR subsidiary, and BR pensioners had up to 13 free UK train journeys a year including Tube.  When we married, I qualified for the same perk.  Bargain!)

I'd have been surprised if Donny Osmond wasn't going :D

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 October 19 11:30 BST (UK) »
Good day all,

I have been searching for a board topic on the upcoming event in London.  If there is one

Hello Garth,

I would be interested to know how you purchased your ticket if you do not mind me asking. The reason I asked is that back in February when they started advertising this event I went on to the official site and they wanted loads of personal information to register and buy a ticket. I though this was unnecessary and so did not buy a ticket. However I did contact the organisers about this and got a mealy mouthed reply which did not help. I have therefore decided to give it a miss.

That said I hope it goes well and gets positive feedback as in that event they may hold it again. I hope you enjoy your visit and my only advice would plan what you want to see and where the things you want to visit are in relation to each other as you will find the time goes very quickly. Good luck.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 October 19 11:39 BST (UK) »
I had a special Suffolk rail pass that not many people know about :-X
(My husband worked for a BR subsidiary, and BR pensioners had up to 13 free UK train journeys a year including Tube.  When we married, I qualified for the same perk.  Bargain!)

I'd have been surprised if Donny Osmond wasn't going :D

Carol

I had forgotten about rail employees concessions.  I shouldn't have really as I get similar with flying  :)

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 October 19 11:49 BST (UK) »
................ back in February when they started advertising this event I went on to the official site and they wanted loads of personal information to register and buy a ticket. I though this was unnecessary and so did not buy a ticket.

David, I haven't seen the list of questions, but I would think they're trying to ensure that tickets are sold only to genuine customers and not the 'profiteers' or 'scalpers' we hear about.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE