Author Topic: Ardington, Berkshire - ROBEY family 1750s  (Read 1369 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ardington, Berkshire - ROBEY family 1750s
« on: Tuesday 15 October 19 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi rootschat,

I wonder if anyone could please help me with tracing any more information about my assumed ancestor John Robey (c1730-1784). At the time of his marriage to Letitia Ryal in 1754 he resided in Dorchester, County Oxford.

He was a miller at the time of his marriage (as is stated on his marriage allegation) and they apparently married at Petersham, Surrey (although I haven't seen the marriage yet).

It is known that in 1756 the family was in Ardington, Berkshire, as their daughter Letitia Robey (1756-1810) was baptised there on 25 April 1756. (She married Henry New in Lewisham in 1790 and was buried in Lewisham in 1810.)

By 1764 John Robey was in Lewisham, Kent, where he had sons Stephen and Richard baptised in 1764 and 17697. John was buried in Lewisham on 25 June 1784. His widow Letitia was buried there in 1802 aged 72. The Robey family lived in Southend in Lewisham.

I have a big gap between 1756 and 1764 and I would like to know where they were living in that time and if there are any baptisms for other children in this period. I am therefore wondering if anyone please has any knowledge of any records for Ardington and nearby area which might help.

With thanks and best wishes,
Jon

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ardington, Berkshire - ROBEY family 1750s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Jon,

Nothing that I can see in the Ardington records, other than Lettishe"s bapt. in 1756. There are certainly quite a few "Robey/Roby/Raby" entries in this parish but none connect to the above that I can see.

Previous thread;https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=819850.msg6821379#msg6821379
In burials there is a John Roby bur.3-11-1766 "infant" nothing else listed

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 23:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for looking and the reply, Alan.

By 1764 the Robey family were in Lewisham, so that 1766 infant burial can't be theirs.

I just have to hope that something comes up!

Thanks so much again,
Jon

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 October 19 12:05 GMT (UK) »
HI have found a Berkshire will from 1766 of a William Roby of East Hanney. This is very near to Ardington and the will states that William Roby was a miller.

The will can be seen here:

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=61333&h=138459&ssrc=pt&tid=5705813&pid=112140786219&usePUB=true

East Hanney is only 4 miles from Ardington. As William had sons named Anthony, William and Robert it seems he must be connected to the Roby family of Ardington where earlier Anthony Robys are found. The will shows William's wife was named Mary.

I am going to see what else I can find out about this family but as my assumed ancestor John Roby lived in Ardington in 1756 and was also a miller, I now feel it highly probably he was connected to this line in Ardington.

Perhaps he was born there or near there, then moved to Dorchester where he lived at the time of his 1754 marriage and then moved back to the place of his origins before moving to Southend in Lewisham, Kent, in the 1760s.

It appears there is more to be discovered!

Jon