Author Topic: Hogan and Breen Families - northern Tipperary, early 1800s  (Read 1063 times)

Offline JW7248

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hogan and Breen Families - northern Tipperary, early 1800s
« on: Thursday 17 October 19 13:02 BST (UK) »
I'd appreciate assistance please in tracing JOHN HOGAN or the family of his wife HANNAH BREEN.

John married Hannah Breen (Brien or O'Brien in some records) born Circa 1811, on 19 February, 1829 in Upperchurch, Tipperary. Their ages weren't noted on the record, nor any Hogans as witnesses.  They had eight known children, baptised in Borrisoleigh/Coolderry Parish: Laurence 1829, Sarah/Sally 1831, Michael 1832-1854, Catherine Kate C 1834, Mary 1834, Martin 1837-1851, Johanna/Hannah C 1839, and John 1840.   Again, no Hogans recorded as sponsors, for clues to John's family.  He died in Tipperary (possibly in Ileigh Parish) on 9 May, 1847; I haven't located his baptism to know his age at death, or where in Tipperary he was buried.

Hannah Breen's unknown father must have died before her marriage in 1829, as her mother, one of the witnesses, was recorded as "Widow Breen" (nothing else located on her).
After John Hogan died in 1847, his widow Hannah and surviving children remained in the area of Ileigh Parish, until emigrating to Tasmania, Australia in 1856. A brother, Martin Breen born C 1813 also emigrated to Tasmania with his wife Honora born C 1817 and children Dennis, Mary, John, and Patrick. Another possible brother, Michael Breen, sponsored their passage.

I have extensive details on the Hogan descendants after they settled in northern Tasmania but would love to know more about them in Tipperary.

Offline Doug Dobbin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Hogan and Breen Families - northern Tipperary, early 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 01:27 BST (UK) »
Hi my name is doug Dobbin and iam helping my partner Terry Hogan with his family research, Terry is a decendant of John Hogan and Hanna Breen, and lives in Brisbane Aus and visits Tasmania regularly.
Would like to make contact to discuss mutual family history,  Cheers Doug

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 19:24 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat. You'll be able to use the personal message option to exchange private information when you've made a couple more posts.
You can put anything else which isn't private and doesn't mention living people on this thread if it may  interest other descendants. 
Cowban

Offline JW7248

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Doug.
You didn't note if you have additional research on John or Hannah's origins?  I've sent you a private message regarding my online family trees etc.
Jan W