Author Topic: Restore, please? Highland Games, 1980s, California, USA  (Read 883 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Restore, please? Highland Games, 1980s, California, USA
« on: Thursday 17 October 19 19:07 BST (UK) »
Sadly, I've been away from RootsChat for a long time.  I've missed the RootsChat community.  I hope to be able to return in December or January.

I found an "old" photo that is of very poor quality.  Is there any possibility that someone may be able to help me, please?  The dancer on the left (the oldest/tallest one) is the one that I would like to keep as the main person.  Anything that anyone can do would be wonderful: removing or cropping anything and of course, any restoration if possible, please.  I would like to keep the concept (of the photo being taken at the games) but I am open to what you think would be the best outcome (providing you can work with my attachment).

Thank you for taking a look at my post.  Kind regards, Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Restore, please? Highland Games, 1980s, California, USA
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 October 19 11:54 BST (UK) »

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 October 19 14:16 BST (UK) »
Nice to see you back Lisa. I've tried to concentrate on the dancer, cutting out some of the unwanted foreground, so hope this is OK for you,
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 October 19 16:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, japeflakes.  Having it lightened makes it look so nice!  To me, not only do the dancers look better, the background has now become part of the "event", rather than just clutter in the background.  Of course, the cleanup is fantastic as well.

Pat, I've really missed being a part of RootsChat but I just didn't have the energy for genealogy as I have been trying to take care of other things.

Thank you as well for your wonderful work.  When looking at the original photo it seemed gloomy; the photo looks so nice with the sky colours.  The cropping is perfect.

Thank you both so much for your clever ideas and for putting so much time into restoring the photo.  Kindest regards, Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 October 19 16:59 BST (UK) »
Pat, thank you for removing the man and replacing him with grass, etc.    ;)

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 October 19 17:50 BST (UK) »
Was it taken at Santa Rosa? Was at the SR games in 1985.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 October 19 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Kloumann:

Given the size of the stage, it may have been at a smaller event.  Santa Rosa was one of the largest games (if not the largest) in Northern California at the time that the photo was taken.  This photo reminds me of the games that were held in Campbell, Modesto, Marin, etc. where the set up wasn't as elaborate as Santa Rosa.  (I hope that makes sense.)  It most likely was taken in the early 1980s as I had stopped dancing by 1986.

Perhaps you may have a better memory than me, though.  ;) The dancer was me and because I competed in every games for a few years, this stage looks quite a bit like most of the "country dancing" stages, so there's no way for me to tell where it was taken.

If only we could read the number on my skirt I might be able to tell where it was taken as I still have most of the programs.   ;D  Thank you for your interest.  :) Once things settle down here, I'm going to try to figure out the locality as I'm now curious.

PS  Were you competing, or visiting, if you don't mind me asking, please?

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 October 19 23:02 BST (UK) »
Visiting. I was working in the Altamont building a Windfarm at that time. I have some old photos from Santa Rosa. I will try to find them.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 October 19 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Kloumann:

I most likely was at the Santa Rosa games in 1985 (or, I stopped dancing right before the games that year).  It would be very interesting to see any photos if you are able to find them, please.

The wind farms are still there; we pass by them a few times a year.   :)