Author Topic: Forrester  (Read 1084 times)

Offline mb76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Forrester
« on: Friday 18 October 19 02:41 BST (UK) »
Hi
One of my ancestors is a Jane Forrester, who married Thomas Anderson in December 1816 in London (St George in the East). According to what I think is her burial record, she was born around 1795. (Burial record has her as Janet/Jennet)

I can't find parents for her but I suspect she was born in Scotland.  I think I might have found two sisters for her, logic/evidence below:
From Jane's marriage certificate, I can see the witnesses were an Andrew Brown and a Margaret Forrester.
An Andrew Brown married an Isabella Forrester around the same time and Isabella Brown was then a witness to the marriage of Margaret Forrester to a John Foord.
These marriages all took place at St George in the East church within a few years of each other.

I also think that Thomas Anderson's mum (Jane's husband) was Elizabeth Brown, so possibly she was an Aunt to Andrew?

But I can't find common parent to a Jane, Isabella and Margaret Forrester in London or in Scotland.

Jane and Thomas Anderson appear to have given family surnames to their kids as middle names, some of these are Burnet, Foord, Brown, Gray, Colvin, Watson and Walker.

I can see that there are lots of Forresters in West Lothian in Scotland, and Fife, some that I think might match for one of Jane/Isabella/Margaret but not all three. Possibly they are cousins rather than sisters.

Please can anyone help me unravel this and locate parents for Jane at least?

Thanks in advance!
Melissa
Forrester in England and Scotland, Collins in Hampshire, Gwatkin in Herefordshire, Brimmell in Herefordshire

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Forrester
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 October 19 15:43 BST (UK) »
When did Jane/Janet die, was it before census returns, I note daughter Alice was born in 1831.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 October 19 17:22 BST (UK) »
3 Janet Forrester's born 1795 in Scotland. Alloa, Clackmannan, & Kinghorn. Kinghorn Janet most likely. Isabel born Kinghorn, 1799. parents of both Alexander & Ann or Elizabeth Anderson. Marriage for Alex to Eliz 1790 Kinghorn. 3 other children, David, John & Anne.

Offline mb76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 October 19 20:56 BST (UK) »
When did Jane/Janet die, was it before census returns, I note daughter Alice was born in 1831.

Colin

Sorry I should’ve said. I have her as dying in 1839, looks to be right after birth of her last daughter Cecilia Walker Anderson (born August 1839). Her husband remarried in 1841 to Mary Taylor.

Also should’ve said my tree is public on Ancestry for anyone who wants to help.
Forrester in England and Scotland, Collins in Hampshire, Gwatkin in Herefordshire, Brimmell in Herefordshire

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 October 19 22:59 BST (UK) »
I have her as dying in 1839, looks to be right after birth of her last daughter Cecilia Walker Anderson (born August 1839).

What were the names of their children in order as they may have used the naming pattern?

Where was Thomas Anderson born?

Have you traced the others, where born, ages for comparison & names of any of their children in order which may include family names as middle names?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline mb76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 October 19 04:44 BST (UK) »

What were the names of their children in order as they may have used the naming pattern?

Where was Thomas Anderson born?

Have you traced the others, where born, ages for comparison & names of any of their children in order which may include family names as middle names?

Annie

Hi Annie

I have Thomas Anderson as born in Waltham Essex. I'm fairly confident its the right one, despite the common name, because he has a brother James, who married a Mary Younghusband and Isabella Forrester was the witness, once again showing close ties between the Andersons and Forresters.

I've attached all the names of Jane & Thomas' children in order. (FYI I have a DNA match to one of Helen Colvin Anderson's descendents, and to the descendents of one of Margaret Forresters children Thomas)

When Margaret married John Foord, their first child was an Elizabeth, with middle name Brown. I'm looking into Margaret's other children now. I can't find any children in England for Isabella and Andrew Brown - I think maybe they went back to Scotland but I haven't found anything yet to corroborate that.

Thanks for the suggestions! This is in my top 3 of tricky ancestors.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 October 19 11:02 BST (UK) »
ANDERSON, JANET died age 46 Lambeth 1839
According to the death registration Jane/Janet was born a little earlier in 1793.

Thomas Anderson, Baptism 23 Aug 1795
Waltham-Abbey, Essex, England, Parents James & Elizabeth

Thomas was baptised as you mentioned. Unless both of their mothers was Elizabeth he may not have followed the usual naming pattern, which for Janet would be Arthur & Elizabeth.

Either way there were no Jane’s born Scotland 1790 - 1795 but there were 10 Janet’s, none of which seem to match any kind of pattern. In England in the same period there are no Janet’s but a number of Jane’s, again nothing to stand out, except maybe this one might be worth a closer look:

Jane Forrester - Baptism 2 May 1795
FOUNDLING HOSPITAL CHURCH OF ENGLAND, SAINT PANCRAS, LONDON

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline mb76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 October 19 00:27 BST (UK) »
ANDERSON, JANET died age 46 Lambeth 1839
According to the death registration Jane/Janet was born a little earlier in 1793.

Jane Forrester - Baptism 2 May 1795
FOUNDLING HOSPITAL CHURCH OF ENGLAND, SAINT PANCRAS, LONDON

Colin

Thanks for looking Colin! I don't think that death record is the right one. That has her dying in March, but her last daughter Cecilia wasn't born until August of that year.  The one I have for her is Jennet Anderson, from St George in the East, the church they seemed to use for everything, and has her dying a few days after Cecilia was born in August, which makes sense.

With that Foundling Hospital record, I discounted it initially because of her seemingly close ties to her "sisters" but I will take another look, thanks!