Author Topic: Samuel Fraser  (Read 1986 times)

Offline madchia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Fraser
« on: Friday 18 October 19 03:40 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to view the death and burial records for my g grandfather, Samuel Fraser, died 27 April 1928 at the British Hotel, Gouray, Jersey. He is listed as Samuel Frazer on the Islandwiki page. The record number, presumably for his burial, is 14177, page 199 under Croad's burials. Sadly, I can't afford to pay for an annual subscription to access one or two records at the Jersey Heritage page (I am quite certain I won't need to access anything else).
If anyone can assist me, I'd be eternally grateful; it has taken me 20 years to find this Liverpudlian with a stage name/alias.
Pat

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Fraser
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 October 19 10:37 BST (UK) »

"Samuel Frazer, alias Samuel Grant, died at the General Hospital 27th April 1928 aged 56, buried Wednesday the 2nd May at Mont a l'Abbe new cemetery in a new sepulchre in the name of Albert E. J. Parker No 57 letter X, 2nd South Grave."

The reference to Albert Parker means that he owned the burial plot but he may not have had anything to do with your g grandfather. The number and letters refer to the position of the grave within the cemetery.

Offline madchia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 October 19 10:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much - that's fantastic! Do you know where I may find a death record...would it exist somewhere?
Pat

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 October 19 13:16 BST (UK) »

The only actual death record would be his death certificate which is only available through the Jersey Registrars Office and Jersey certificates cost a stonking £30 each, (plus postage). His death is on the indexes for St Helier, Volume 54, Page 76.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 October 19 15:26 BST (UK) »
Sounds like Gorey Pat!

Skoosh.

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 October 19 15:59 BST (UK) »

The British Hotel did indeed stand on Gorey Pier - it is now The Moorings Hotel, but the church of Gouray is just a short distance away.

Offline madchia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 October 19 00:12 BST (UK) »
My fault, I think I edited Gorey from the obit - thought it was spelled wrong once I'd seen Gouray.
Thanks ever so much.
I'd like to sort a family tale that he possibly drank himself to death after his wife had had enough and moved to the US in 1923 (he was a scoundrel and led an extremely colourful life haha).
He, or someone named Sidney Grant (my fellows stage name), was performing in Jersey in 1925. He may have been there for a few years before he died.
I'm off to look for a death certificate and cause of death.

Why are the CHI so outrageously expensive for documents?

Offline madchia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 October 19 00:27 BST (UK) »

"Samuel Frazer, alias Samuel Grant, died at the General Hospital 27th April 1928 aged 56, buried Wednesday the 2nd May at Mont a l'Abbe new cemetery in a new sepulchre in the name of Albert E. J. Parker No 57 letter X, 2nd South Grave."

The reference to Albert Parker means that he owned the burial plot but he may not have had anything to do with your g grandfather. The number and letters refer to the position of the grave within the cemetery.

His name was Samuel Fraser, his alias was Sidney Grant (sometimes Sydney). His brothers were also stage actors/singers in London.
Samuel would've had acquaintances all over the UK and anyone could've paid for his burial/plot. He was likely broke or close to it. I may have found Albert.
I find it odd that there were memorials placed at least twice after his death, by his siblings, yet they left him to be buried in Jersey.
Mind you, I suppose he was still married - she was still his next-of-kin and probably didn't give a donkey what Jersey did with him. She was in NY and no one was allowed to mention him after that. I've still never seen a picture of him.
Family, eh!? hahaha I'm actually rather fond of this fellow. He didn't make things easy for himself.

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 October 19 09:45 BST (UK) »

Just had another look at the burial record and it does say 'alias Sidney Grant' - I think I just saw the S and read Samuel, sorry.