Author Topic: George Everill  (Read 1324 times)

Offline KatieJJones

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Everill
« on: Saturday 19 October 19 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hiya Rootchat! I have a big challenge for you.

So, my 4x Great Grandfather was called George Everill however after 1882, I have seemingly lost track of him. He was born illegitimately as George Everard Bennett as he was born before his parents married. Then his name ended up being George Everard Everill. His dad died soon after and his mother remarried by 1871.

George than for some reason came down to Bingham, Nottinghamshire and met and married who would become my 4 Great Grandmother Rebecca Smalley. They lived in Bingham until roughly 1882 where they moved to Nottingham and then after that he disappeared. He isn't on the census with his family from 1891 onwards. Rebecca still marked her marital status as Married until 1939 until she became Widow.

He was involved in criminal activities being arrested both in 1880 and 1882 and serving a combined sentence of 20 months in Nottingham Prison.

If anyone can find him on 1891, 1901 or 1911 census or when he died I would be most grateful! For easier viewing I shall summarize in bullet points what I know about him below.

Thank you!

• Born Jan 1853 in Birmingham, Warwickshire to George Everill and Elizabeth Bennett
  • Full name at Birth was George William Everard Bennett.
  • Married Rebecca Smalley at St Mary and All Saints Church in Bingham, Notts in 1878
  • Worked as a Labourer / Gardener until 1881 where he became a Commission Agent
  • During his known criminal years (circa 1880) he went by the alias of George Moscow and George Lancaster
  • Was sentenced for a term of 8 months in Nottingham Prison in 1880 for Larceny and then again for 12 months in 1882.
  • Had four Children, Mary Elizabeth (1880) Harry Bentley Everill (1882) Jessie Isabelle (1884) and Frank Herbert (1886)
Brady, Carrington, Cox, Dunham, Everill, Few, Hartland, Johnson, Jones, Neep, Sanders, Walker, Ward and Wilding

Offline g eli

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: George Everill
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 October 19 21:04 BST (UK) »
I can't help you with his death,but I can tell you that in 1885 he was living at Lily St Nottingham,(electoral rolls) the same address was given at his son Frank Herbert's baptism in 1886 job given as commission agent.
I think it is possible the indictment in 1880 was a different George Everill as there is a family of Everill's living in Mansfield, and there is no mention of a previous conviction in the 1882 conviction.
Liz
Butler Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire
Targoose Lincolnshire : Targus the rest of England
Sollery:Staffordshire & Nottinghamshire
Saunders,  Phillips: Wiltshire
Oldknow: Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire
Hirons or Hiorns: Friswell: Whitmore: Warwickshire
Tanser: Leicestershire & Warwickshire
Kidger: Buxton: Cramp:Leicestershire
Goodall:Griffin: Ford:Minton:Derbyshire
Cormack:Dunn: Scotland
Taylor:Nottinghamshire
Fletcher Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire Staffordshire

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 October 19 21:51 BST (UK) »
There's a police gazette entry from 1879 for George Everill alias Everett, Moscow or Gloucester who'd absconded from Carlton, wanted for theft of a silver watch and some cash from the Great Northern Railway at Colwick nr Nottingham

Aged 27 - 30

Father was a detective in Birmingham

Does this fit at all?

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 October 19 21:57 BST (UK) »
There's  a George William Everille b c1852 who was employed by the Midland Railway as a porter at Asfordby - not too far from Nottingham

Offline KatieJJones

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 October 19 07:48 BST (UK) »
There's a police gazette entry from 1879 for George Everill alias Everett, Moscow or Gloucester who'd absconded from Carlton, wanted for theft of a silver watch and some cash from the Great Northern Railway at Colwick nr Nottingham

Aged 27 - 30

Father was a detective in Birmingham

Does this fit at all?

Yes that fits 100% :) His father was like a Sherlock Holmes! He would get asked for his help and expertise in Detective Work after leaving the Birmingham Police Force
Brady, Carrington, Cox, Dunham, Everill, Few, Hartland, Johnson, Jones, Neep, Sanders, Walker, Ward and Wilding

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 October 19 14:12 BST (UK) »
There's  a George William Everille b c1852 who was employed by the Midland Railway as a porter at Asfordby - not too far from Nottingham

Forgot to say this was in 1874

Offline KatieJJones

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 October 19 18:43 BST (UK) »

Forgot to say this was in 1874

That would explain how he ended up in Nottinghamshire! Too bad we haven't found anything about him post-1886 just yet

Offline KatieJJones

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 October 19 18:45 BST (UK) »
I can't help you with his death,but I can tell you that in 1885 he was living at Lily St Nottingham,(electoral rolls) the same address was given at his son Frank Herbert's baptism in 1886 job given as commission agent.
I think it is possible the indictment in 1880 was a different George Everill as there is a family of Everill's living in Mansfield, and there is no mention of a previous conviction in the 1882 conviction.
Liz

I havefound a link between his 1882 conviction to the 1880 conviction. On his 1882 conviction it states that he was convicted previously in 1880 for 8 months for stealing some gold

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 October 19 19:12 BST (UK) »
Liz

I havefound a link between his 1882 conviction to the 1880 conviction. On his 1882 conviction it states that he was convicted previously in 1880 for 8 months for stealing some gold

That fits  - have looked again at the Police Gazette and it was £14 in gold and silver he was accused of taking