Author Topic: Silver War Badge puzzle  (Read 938 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Silver War Badge puzzle
« on: Monday 21 October 19 00:09 BST (UK) »
The medal card relating to my friend’s grandfather shows him to have begun the war with the DLI, reg. no. 13126 and subsequently transferred to the Labour Corps, reg. no. 210583.

Having found this, I then cast around for any other information which might be available and came across two lists related to the medals, both confirming the above service. One also shows his date of discharge as 28/12/17.

Then I found a transcription of the Silver War Badge roll which shows his date of discharge as 27 Dec. 1917 and his current service no. as 210583.  So far so good but his Regiment/unit is given as Labour Corps: N.C.L.C ex 1st Yorks & L. and his old reg. no. as 30017.

Can I safely assume that this is a transcription error or is there some other possible reason why this information has been given.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Silver War Badge puzzle
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 October 19 09:49 BST (UK) »
It des rather look as if the Silver War Badge roll (not just the transcription) may be in error. 

His (J Sancaster's) medal card has 13126 DLI and 210583 Labour Corps. It has LC/656 against the SWB entry.  LC/656 is the Labour Corps SWB page on which the entry has the 30017/201583 J Sancaster with NCLC ex 1st Y & L.

However, both the medal rolls (1914/1915 Star and the BW & V rolls) for 13126/210583 are for DLI followed by Labour Corps.

30017 is not related to the name Sancaster in medal rolls/cards including the SWB roll.  I can't relate 30017 to the Y & L.

There are pension cards in Fold 3 on Ancestry for J Sancaster with the 210583 number which may have other information (although I doubt it - I don't have the additional sub for Fold3).

There is a record for a court martial in 1916 in Sunderland of a Y & L J Sancaster but the transcription doesn't have a service number.  The record is again in Fold3.  If you are able, it may be worth checking that to find what the service number was and then take it from there again.

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 October 19 13:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Max.  I don't have an additional sub for Fold3 either so won't be able to follow up on the other records.

There is something odd about reg. no. 30017.  I did a search on the SWB roll using just the no. 30017 and was presented with 10 results.  10 different soldiers from various regiments all apparently having this number.

Christine

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 October 19 13:23 BST (UK) »
That isn't surprising Christine.  At that time each regiment had its own numbering system so finding a number with the same one happens all the time.  Numbers unique to an individual didn't come in until 1920.

Look out for possible free access around Remembrance Day, they often do that.

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 October 19 18:38 BST (UK) »
I did know that each regiment had it's own numbers but always thought that these were unique to that regiment.  I've learned something new today, thank you.

I'll keep an eye out for free access but in the meantime I will assume that the silver badge record does relate to my friend's grandfather.

Thanks again

Christine

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 October 19 18:43 BST (UK) »

I will assume that the silver badge record does relate to my friend's grandfather.

Thanks again

Christine

I'm unsure whether you are happy that 210583 John Sancaster is the man you want or it's just the SWB record that you are doubting.
If it helps the pension cards referred to for 210583 has C/O W Sancaster, 5 Albion Street, West Hartlepool on one and is endorse that on 22 10 1921 the file has gone to Northwestern Region. The card for that Region gives his address as 8 Pitt Place, Woolton, Liverpool. His pension claim was for Bronchitis

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 October 19 00:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that.  I had hoped that those records would prove that he was the right man but I can't tell.  Hartlepool is in the right area and he did have a brother called William but where Liverpool would fit is anyone's guess!  I need to do a bit more investigation.

As ever, with this hobby, it's one question answered and another two raised.

Christine